Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Farm raincoat

Farm raincoat

What do people think the best raincoat for farm work is I mainly do fencing & don't stop when it wet I just rip my one today ( it only 3 months out but it was a cheap one )on barbed wire so what's the best are the cactus or earth sea sky ones any good for that sort of work or do they not last when covered in mud & shit day after day thanks

I use a Kaiwaka jacket on the farm but its heavy and i wouldn't want to be fencing in it all day.
    A fencing mate of mine uses a stoney creek "creek crosser"? they are about $200 and come on special for $150 he gets a good run out of these

@Ryan_Songhurst I'm sure has a few coats to choose from for farm work.

Of using barbed wire regularly I wouldn't be coughing up big $$ for it. I have the a cactus vest that has taken a beating over a few years, really like it as gives the arms freedom of movement, good collar on it that gets turned up when it starts getting wet

I've run a Swazi Torrent past three seasons and it's goes real well, has stayed waterproof the whole time and isnt heavy and hot to work in. I like the Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia jackets (I have two, a "hunting" one, and a "farm" one) but they are lighter again than the Torrent is so I don't do a lot on farm with mine as I believe it would be pretty easy to rip one. We buy Kaiwaka stormforce for all our staff and they last well but I find them too hot and heavy for working in, ok if you're just following cows on a bike or other mundane tasks. Did one round of the Stoney Creek (force 11?) For a couple of our staff and they leaked and had broken zips and stitching coming out around the pockets within a couple of months. Haven't looked at a cactus rain jacket, I would imagine like most of their stuff they will be bulletproof but possibly quite heavy and won't breathe as well as some of the more technical fabric if you are actively working in them.
    XR500 likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I had a betacraft iso 940 on the farm and thought it was very good, quite light and breathable but very waterproof. Currently have a kaiwaka storm force blue coat and am not sold on it to be honest. Its heavier and doesn't breathe as well as the betacraft. However it feels more durable and is also very waterproof but buying again I think I'd go back to my betacraft one, especially if I was moving a lot like you would be fencing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cactus all day mate I've tried all the others and its far superior.
    Not that it seems to rain to much in hawkes bay these days but my current one is 6 years old and still as good as the day I brought it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Not that it seems to rain to much in hawkes bay these days but my current one is 6 years old and still as good as the day I brought it.

You need to get off the SXS if you want to wear it out mate
    tetawa and BRADS like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post

Do you look after it by washing it & redoing the dwr coating I'm one for not doing that I have plans of trying to do all that but then when it's you wet I want it & when it's dry I forget bot it lol

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Ryan_Songhurst I'm sure has a few coats to choose from for farm work.

Of using barbed wire regularly I wouldn't be coughing up big $$ for it. I have the a cactus vest that has taken a beating over a few years, really like it as gives the arms freedom of movement, good collar on it that gets turned up when it starts getting wet
    I don't usually use barbed wire I was just doing a repair on old fence but least cactus will repair but it would be a cost

Iv never had the betacraft gear before have had 2 kaiwaka coats 1st one was good lasted bot 18 months 2nd one a hep of shit after 6 months was leaking they fix it the repair lasted 2months then leaking again sent back & they said to me the the will refund but never by another product of there's again so I haven't lol so I thought I'd ask see what other people think are the best out there

What would have a heavier outer fabric the cactus or the earth sea sky

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    What would have a heavier outer fabric the cactus or the earth sea sky
    Cactus. Earth Sea Sky is a really lightweight fabric, they are bombproof and super waterproof, pack down well, breathe well etc as a hunting jacket but I don't use mine in anger too much on the farm as wouldn't take a hell of a lot to rip it or wear a hole in it
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

What about Oilskin?
    https://www.outbacktrading.co.nz/col...2-sleeved-vest
    Hadads in Otorohanga sell them for $120
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I'm a fencer (some unkind people say I'm a "sometimes fencing" sort of contractor) and I try not to work in the rain. However I do a lot of repair work, which often involves barbed wire - mainly climbing over the bloody stuff!! With barbed its the fabric type that is key, the harder the fabric the less likely it'll "catch and hook". I like my Swazi Tahr but its really too "soft" and I'm careful with it round barb - if I was going for a new coat I'd be looking for a firm smooth fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    What about Oilskin?
    https://www.outbacktrading.co.nz/col...2-sleeved-vest
    Hadads in Otorohanga sell them for $120
    I've ripped lots of oilskin - too soft