Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "Fitting" a pack

"Fitting" a pack

How is/should a pack be adjusted to fit you? is there a formula or rule of thumb?
    Iv always just put the bastard on and carried it, on a long carry or heavy pack I find myself tightening and loosening straps to alternate weight from my shoulders to my hips and vice versa.
    Anyway got myself a elberstock and while it feels comfy havent used it yet and noticed it has a few adjustments so might as well get it right and make it easy on myself.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have been the same VC , just keep shuffling but always seem to end up with the pack higher than my head to sit on my hips which leaves me top heavy.

Yea, can adjust the shoulder harness up and down the pack,straps from top of shoulder to pack and of course the straps themselves and waste band an clavicle strap.
    figured if I got it set right for my build? would make for easier carrying?

I'm interested in this also , and would also be interested in how others organise the contents and what order and position in the pack things are placed .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I'm same as you, just throw it on and pull and loosen straps to feel comfortable
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I'm interested in this also , and would also be interested in how others organise the contents and what order and position in the pack things are placed .

Ken
    I try and keep the bulk of the weight in the bottom but basicly just ram shit in wherever it will fit. Organisation can happen after camp is sorted and there is more room.

I like to keep the heavy's around my shoulders
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I like to keep the heavy's around my shoulders
    You dont walk on dodgey terrain where over balancing would result in severe injury then i take it?
    Low c of g is always better for boats cars trucks bikes and blokes, women on the other hand....
    GWH likes this.

Nah not really, I couldn't walk dodgy terrain without a pack. I mainly hate weight pulling me down being low like that. I find it easier a little higher.
    VIVA LA HOWA

A lot of packs sit better with the waist belt around your hips rather than up on top of them, if that makes sense. Common mistake having it too high.

Once you have that position where you want it, adjust the back length by getting a mate to look at you side-on while wearing it - when unloaded and in the right waist position, you don't want the shoulder straps sitting up clear of your shoulders - that means the back is too long.

Then you have the obvious straps tighter/looser, and stabiliser straps as well which you can use for transferring a bit more load onto hips or shoulders, or loosen off a bit if you need a bit more flexibility of movement.

As long as you feel comfortable and balanced with it on then its all good really, whatever works for you.

As far as loading goes there are two main schools of thought - heavy stuff down low for c.o.g, or up high so that the force it applies is closer to vertical and more in line with the spine. I tend to just pack for convenience and how things fit best, usually end up with sleeping bag at the bottom followed by clothes, cooker/pots on top of them and food on top of that so it doesn't get as squished.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Toby like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    There is a great deal of sense in what GB says above. The key for me is to not have the pack dragging back on your shoulders as that means it will be pivoting against the lumbar region of your spine.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thats exactly how I pack mime gb. Sleeping bag clothes then pots and coomer then all the food which is the heavy stuff normally and have a tarp and rope on the top
    VIVA LA HOWA

Here is a link to the Eberlestock website about fitting a pack Backpack Tech Tips scroll down a bit and there is a video showing you how to set it up.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Cheers Stug :thumbup:

ebf
    In terms of fitting, I concentrate on two things: first get the hip belt correct - you want most of the weight on your hips.

Second thing is shoulder straps. Most modern packs you can adjust the point where the shoulder strap attaches to the frame. In my experience, higher is better - if you look at it from the side, you want a little triangle of air above you shoulder - if you dont have that, the shoulder straps themselves will dig into your arms especially with heavy loads, and you will have the weight pulling you back instead of sitting on your hips.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute