Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Folding knives

Banned

Folding knives

I had a shiny folder from Germany as a gift. I was using it a lot before they wife commandeered it.

A cheap one, all shiny and tacticool but I liked it.

I'm used to Joker and Meula knives. Rate the Joker very highly and the current Meula is good knife. Sheaths are crap and need modified.

Started looking at folders and there are so many brands I'm lost. Had a SOG folder which I liked. No idea where that went. Cut me out of my boot when I squashed my leg. One handed opening essential.

Not talking opinel or mercator. I have those.

Modern folder with belt clip, bigger the better for edc. What are decent brands?

What sort of budget do you have in mind?
    That really dictates what brands to look at...

Budget (sub $50)
    Sanrenmu
    Ganzo/Firebird
    CJRB
    QSP

Value (Sub $70)
    Civivi
    Buck Vantage line

Around $100
    Cold Steel (I like the American Lawman & Broken Skull - dumb names but good knives)

More premium
    Spyderco
    Tahr likes this.

Also - it's worth keeping and eye out on drop.com
    Often they will have good deals on knives, and offer really cheap shipping to NZ.

If you can get over the name (and NZD price), these are hard to beat. Discontinued in this steel in the US so I was surprised to find one on this this link in NZ.

Ive done many deer with my one and used it for general use.

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...el/54SBOR.html

Name:  IMG_4409.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  7.39 MB
    outdoorlad likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you can get over the name (and NZD price), these are hard to beat. Discontinued in this steel in the US so I was surprised to find one on this this link in NZ.

Ive done many deer with my one and used it for general use.

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...el/54SBOR.html

Attachment 155220
    I'm not sure I can get over it. Also I don't like Orange. Otherwise, as is often the case, we have similar tastes.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatu View Post
    What sort of budget do you have in mind?
    That really dictates what brands to look at...

Budget (sub $50)
    Sanrenmu
    Ganzo/Firebird
    CJRB
    QSP

Value (Sub $70)
    Civivi
    Buck Vantage line

Around $100
    Cold Steel (I like the American Lawman & Broken Skull - dumb names but good knives)

More premium
    Spyderco
    This is the kind of breakdown I was looking for. Ta.

Toss up between cold steel and spyderco

Am I right in thinking SOG has gone downhill? I had their gear ten years ago and it was excellent.

Recent stuff seems to be junk by comparison.

I wrecked a set of their pliers fencing, but it took a long time even after years of hard use. Bought my brother a set and they snapped in a week.

I like their one hand opening knives.

Saw a short clip on that guy who had to saw off his own arm when it was trapped. Went out right then and there and bought and one hand opening knife (this freaked me out a lot). Exactly 7 days later used it to cut my boot laces after I was nearly pinned by a rock.

I have had one of these for years & it has handled many deer,tahr,chammy etc as well as my every day carry,had similar requirements to you .I too think a lot of brands have gone down hill now,SOG use to be one of my favorites a couple of their folders broke in no time after use on the farm/bush ,which is exactly why l paid a bit more for this ,from memory it was on special for $185 when l got it.Knives now are a real example of the cry once philosophy,these guys are also really good to deal with.

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...e/555S30V.html

I have been thinking about grabbing one of these as l have a fixed blade from the guy who designed it that has been a great knife over years of abuse.

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...ves/30URY.html

You can also get a Spyderco like this if you do not want to spend so much ,l like them because they have a really strong locking mech & good handling design

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/e...S/-C142GP.html
    Last edited by bunji; 03-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Buck still US made. Gerbers now chinese but not bad. Svord, keep it kiwi.
    I wouldn’t be so sure about buck being made in USA still, not all anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    I have had one of these for years & it has handled many deer,tahr,chammy etc as well as my every day carry,had similar requirements to you .I too think a lot of brands have gone down hill now,SOG use to be one of my favorites a couple of their folders broke in no time after use on the farm/bush ,which is exactly why l paid a bit more for this ,from memory it was on special for $185 when l got it.Knives now are a real example of the cry once philosophy,these guys are also really good to deal with.

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...e/555S30V.html

I have been thinking about grabbing one of these as l have a fixed blade from the guy who designed it that has been a great knife over years of abuse.

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...ves/30URY.html

You can also get a Spyderco like this if you do not want to spend so much ,l like them because they have a really strong locking mech & good handling design

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/e...S/-C142GP.html
    I was wondering who was the best to buy from. When I saw 900 models I posted here.

I like the price of the spyderco and the blade length at over 4". Need big handles for big hands.

Manly is the brand I use these days ,available from a guy in Taupo,boots direct I think he is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Buck still US made. Gerbers now chinese but not bad. Svord, keep it kiwi.
    Had a Svord, gave it away. Just the peasant knife but it did not hold an edge.

I use that one for all my duck,upland hunting including goats,skippy's etc ,have had a couple of them for years & found them very good .

Banned
    Anyone had any experience with Boker? Solingen brand.

What is the fixed blade mate & has it been any good ?

@Tussock Spyderco, all day. Get a mid to full size, with a half plain edge, half serrated. They are the ducks nuts and not that expensive. They tend to be one or the other here in NZ for some reason, no idea why as the half n half edge is so perfect: The Spyderco serrated edge is like a light saber on fibrous material like rope or seatbelts or heavy cloth. It's a pain when it's the full length of the blade though, as a straight edge is good for other stuff where the serrations aren't.

I see you want over 4", this fits the bill (plain straight edge) https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...s/-C91PBK.html

[EDIT] The Spyderco opener hole is brilliant too, with a bit of practice it beats everything else that folds
    kiwijames likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt