Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: GAITERS

GAITERS

With boxing day sale and savings to be had am wanting to buy a good pair of gaiters, mainly going to used for open country.
    I used a out nylon pair down south this year and sweated like anything, like my socks were damp from sweat
    Cactus only made one high gaiter model
    outdoor research crocodile gaiters
    twin needle (don't have a under strap)
    I can add a string as i do like having a strap/string under my gaiters to hold them down. Just get pissed off when you have got a pack on and the string comes undone and got to dump the pack to tie it back up
    Swazi but don't like the zip down the side so they are out.
    Any others out there that are new and proven to the market

Been rocking twin needle putties for a couple of years now, dont need the under strap

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    hotsoup and bigbear like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Hamish do they hold the water? i know they are only the putties

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Hamish do they hold the water? i know they are only the putties
    Not really, only thing that I wear that really holds water is Hunters Element neoprene putties.....but they all let water in eventually

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Banned
    looked at katmandu ones?

Banned
    I've used Swazi 'hush putties', these are terrible and should be thrown in the fire. Neoprene putties are really for fishing when worn with neoprene wading socks and the putties are pulled down over them - excellent in water. For hunting the best thing is still 'Horse Bandages' good ankle support - never twist an ankle, keep stones and crap out and keep feet dry on quick crossings like creeks that's what all the cullers used for fulltime hunting. Canvas Putties - noisy and can rub legs unless worn with long pants, best reserved for Beekeeping for which they are excellent
    kbrebs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I've used Swazi 'hush putties', these are terrible and should be thrown in the fire. Neoprene putties are really for fishing when worn with neoprene wading socks and the putties are pulled down over them - excellent in water. For hunting the best thing is still 'Horse Bandages' good ankle support - never twist an ankle, keep stones and crap out and keep feet dry on quick crossings like creeks that's what all the cullers used for fulltime hunting. Canvas Putties - noisy and can rub legs unless worn with long pants, best reserved for Beekeeping for which they are excellent
    I have been a fan of horse bandages for many years, never fail when putting them on around camp to hear whinnying...but then I have taken one off to strap up a hunting companion who twisted an ankle two hours from camp...sure as hell beat having to half carry him back.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Huntech are good
    hthomas likes this.

Neoprene putties are great for places you do a lot of short "hop across the stream" crossings. They will keep water out for quite a while but do get sweaty in the heat.
    I have a pair of OR Crocodiles (the gortex ones) which are great but my wife has some Sea to Summit canvas gaiters which are a bit stiffer and in my opinion better.
    https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...xoC99wQAvD_BwE
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Kuiu gaitors are great but expensive
    25 /08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Neoprene putties are great for places you do a lot of short "hop across the stream" crossings. They will keep water out for quite a while but do get sweaty in the heat.
    I have a pair of OR Crocodiles (the gortex ones) which are great but my wife has some Sea to Summit canvas gaiters which are a bit stiffer and in my opinion better.
    https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...xoC99wQAvD_BwE
    Locally (for us) you could also try the K-2 Antartic Products ones, made from canvas and a bit noisey until they wear in but damn good
    Shearer likes this.

Have had a good run with my sea to summit ones, no issues at all except the noise but that's part of it with the material used.

In the bush and wet areas I love my neoprene ones. Best and easiest. For dry summer work Stoney Creek ankle puttees. On the tops I have used the original Huntech long gaiters but they are quite bulky. For wet tops trips I put the neoprene under them. Best long gaiters I have used recently have been the Macpac ones. Slim and work well but noisy so only good for open country work. They are cooler than the Huntechs. I wear out a few due to the job so get to try stuff a bit.

Banned
    The Moral - 'You can lead a Horse to water but you cant make it change it's gaiters if it's wearing Blinkers'

Had a really good run out of Outdoor research gaiters but not a hunting gaiter so a bit noisy. Replaced them with a pair of Stony Creek gaiters but bits keep falling off them and you have to buy the strap/wire that goes under your boot separately.