Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Garmin Etrex 10 vs. Magellan eXplorist 110

Hey guys,
    I've just started getting into hunting, and thought that buying a GPS wouldn't be a stupid idea. My budget is $200, so I'm looking at these two units. How do they compare? I'd think that for the extra $30 compared to the Garmin, the Magellan being colour and having maps would be a big advantage. The Magellan comes with "world edition basemap". How good is this? Because otherwise I'd have to shell out another $200 to buy topomaps for it.
    Thanks, Mitch

If you wanted a mapping gps I'd save your penny's and go for the etrex 20 Garmin eTrex 20 with NZ Open Project Maps - KiwiGPS Tony has even put the open project topo maps for you, which I find great.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

The Magellan610 I got recently came with : World base map , Aus & NZ topo & road maps already loaded .
    Touch screen ,very user friendly ,heaps of other stuff including a Fishing / hunting calender.I think was good value for money at $420 nzd .Didn't pay any duty on it either which surprised me .

Take a look at JungleGhost.com
    Last edited by Chris; 06-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    If you wanted a mapping gps I'd save your penny's and go for the etrex 20 Garmin eTrex 20 with NZ Open Project Maps - KiwiGPS Tony has even put the open project topo maps for you, which I find great.
    I use an etrex 20 with n and aus topo's pr einstalled. Works for me.