Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Garmin GPS Map 66i

Right, so I finally splashed out and bought a 66i. It has the topoactive maps on it (which are shite) and I have been hearing that I may be able to get NZ topo 50 maps loaded instead of the $220 full topo maps from Garmin… anyone able to shed any light on whether:
    1. This is actually possible?
    2. Will it function like the garmin topos?

Yes I have Topo50 on my phone. Wanted the 66i for the weather, SOS function and messaging.

Help appreciated!

Try these

Thanks HJ. How do these compare detail-wise with the Garmin full topo map set? $40as opposed to $230 is pretty attractive!

Gone but not forgotten
    Most Garmin units can take the free topomaps (google OpenGPS and Mr Purples maps), but I'm not sure about the i units. The early Inreach models couldn't.

The new Garmins can take any maps that are Garmin compatible unlike the older Inreaches. I have tried the open GPS maps and didn't find them very good. The ones I linked I have heard good things about although I'm using an older set of Garmin maps on my 64s that I obtained.

Yep those are the ones l have , Topo4GPS: Garmin ready topo maps , the shop put them on for me .I only use mine as a back up to my main GPS unit though ,the messaging system is the real winner for them ,saved us a bad time on the Tops last year on a Tahr hunt ,when l got the missus's regular multi source weather map forecast & we had a gale force wind front heading straight for us, chopper got in on the only patch of clear sky we saw & second attempt .
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

I have an Alpha200i and just run the Topoactive maps and download birdseye for specific areas I'm going to be in
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Thanks for the feedback. Think I might just bite the bullet and purchase the garmin maps. Makes the gps investment an expensive one but (hopefully) a long term one!

The 66i is a great unit especially with a birdseye subscription.