Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Garmin inreach doc huts

Garmin inreach doc huts

Hey everyone I have just purchased a Garmin Inreach and downloaded the map but it doesn’t show doc huts is there a way of getting these on there possibly downloading something or am I just not using it properly ( I haven’t read the instructions)

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Younghunter123 View Post
    ( I haven’t read the instructions)
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Ned
    That's my experience too. I ended up selling my inreach explorer+ and getting an inreach mini.
    From memory, I think I used the garmin website (under your login) and created waypoints at all the huts anywhere near areas I was heading too. Use a useful icon. Then upload them to the inreach unit. You can see some huts on the website but you have to zoom right in to see them. Some are not in the right spot. Some don't show at all. Pretty disappointing.
    Same thing for tracks if you need to link road ends and huts in your hunting areas, create routes and upload those as well. Then at least you can use the inreach to navigate by them if needed.

The original inreach mapping was not garmin (delorne?) Originally and shit but no sales people ever mention it probably because they never actually used it just went off the brochure

Well I wouldn’t be a kiwi if I read the instructions properly 😂 ! Seems like a lot of work to log huts and tracks considering the price point of the unit! Cheers for the reply and information

Somewhere floating around the internet is a file containing all NZ backcountry huts as waypoints, suitable to be dropped straight onto your garmin gps memory card. A bit of a search on google or possibly even on this forum may find it..

Ok so this would be downloadable to an Inreach ? as they do not have a memory card insert , Only built in memory space.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Somewhere floating around the internet is a file containing all NZ backcountry huts as waypoints, suitable to be dropped straight onto your garmin gps memory card. A bit of a search on google or possibly even on this forum may find it..
    The point i was trying to make is the inreach units never used to support Garmin format mapping. The used Delorne format maps and thir nz mapping was not very good.

Ned
    Garmin software really is pretty average.
    If you can be bothered skimming through the comments in this blog, you'll see that although they may produce good hardware, they are lacking a lot in keeping their customers happy.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/...stability.html

Regarding their mapping stuff, they have inherited the delorme website (as pointed out above) which is garmin earthmate but also have their own garmin solution (for other mapping units and watches) being garmin explore. Seems crazy that they haven't fully moved to just the one platform by now. Why would you use both? Well I can set up routes for my garmin fenix watch on the explore app/site and upload to both (with actual useful maps). But if I want to be able to type messages on my inreach from a phone app, I need to use the earthmate app.

I swapped to the inreach mini because in the end something like nztopo50 app provides a heap more for only a few bucks. Map overlays, actual huts etc. The inreach is still a cheap option for back country communication. But even then it can be painful to use at times. The upload/download of messages under just a smattering of tree cover can be pretty quick, or seem to take forever. But I think it's still the only hardware option if you want 2 way comms?

You can download the list direct from DoC Here.

If you download the kml version it can be direct imported into Garmin Basecamp or just opened with google earth

Instructions are just one persons idea on how something might work
    berg243 and XR500 like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Cheers for all the reply’s . Happy jack once downloaded to the base camp can you transfer it to your Inreach device ( sorry not very tech savvy have never owned a gps

I have a 64S and yes can be sent straight through via the cable.

Just been doing some googling while I'm stuck at home with a back that has seized up and it appears the Inreach uses Garmin Earthmate as it is still on the old Delorne system

Yeah that is what I have downloaded and it is average to say the least I was hoping I could download better maps but I can’t seem to find anything on the internet

Ned
    Log in to garmin explore website, then upload the kml file there as pointed to by Happy Jack.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Yt9LAhusE7WED8
    Nothing is particularly intuitive with Garmin so you'll need to figure out some of the options. But then yes you should have all huts as waypoints once you sync it.

I've had to have a couple of goes sometimes before synced waypoints or routes/courses/tracks appear on my garmin fenix watch. So always worth checking that everything has turned up on the device as expected rather than getting caught short in the field.