Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By 7x64
  • 4 Post By Preacher
  • 2 Post By scottrods

Thread: Garmin Instinct GPS watch

MB

Garmin Instinct GPS watch

The Mrs brought me a Garmin Instinct for Christmas. It wasn't something I wanted and wondered what the hell I was going to do with it! Lots of features which aren't of any use to me, but the "TracBack" function might prove useful. I've had a play with it and basically, it will point you in the right direction to get to a pre-saved waypoint either following the route you took to get there or in a straight line. It doesn't have maps as such, but plots your course as you go. Obviously not to be used as your only form of navigation, but I'll give it a go. Anyone else using one?

Yup, had one about 8 months now. Mostly used to track exercise etc rather than for navigation, but it will work as such. Also use on the bike, skiing etc.

Really enjoy mine but purely for hunting prob not all that useful. Great for other pursuits.

Had to buy my own, top marks to your wife!
    MB likes this.

MB
    Maybe one day I'll do "exercise".

Barometer, altitude,compass,trackback as a back up for exfil. Love mine for the point and shoot bearing, shot something over a gully.... point bearing and walk straight up to last point of shot.

Wouldn't rely on the compass purely but I have found it to be accurate so far. Enables quick direction finding in the bush without having to get field compass out

Rate it highly, although it does take a bit of learning to make use of the functions. Read the manual (several times for me).
    scottrods, Feral, MB and 1 others like this.

Use it with the garmin explore app and its a proper GPS in your pocket.
    The maps aren't very good but they read well when used in conjunction with something like NZTOPO50N

Has anyone tried the Solar version?
    And anyone using in conjunction with the Garmin inReach?
    Been toying with buying one for a while now...

Got 6x solar. The solar is really a gimmick...I think I read it only adds a few % power over a day I think.

I have the instinct.
    Use it to track my daily step count, my dog walks and any hill walks (also load into strava).
    I've used the sight n go function too. It was very good at helping me find a deer.
    MB and Preacher like this.