Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Garmin In Reach

Garmin In Reach

Anyone using these? What sort of subscription do you have? Pros and Cons?
    Thinking of getting one instead of a PLB.
    It would be used for school tramps I
    and OE trips.

Gone but not forgotten
    There was a recent thread on this, I think general opinion was they are not a replacement for a PLB, more of a useful addition to one.
    I’ll try and find the thread later
    Chur Bay likes this.

Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for that. Looks like plb is the way to go.
    rugerman likes this.

Ned
    An additional to note is that although you can suspend the service. You still get charged an annual fee (and one off activation fee).

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

With the blocks around the Matakitaki that DOC opened for helicopter access for hunters last roar, I’m sure one of their requirements was that you carried a device with Inreach technology.

You would probably want to find out whether this was likely to become a more widespread requirement before splashing out on a PLB only to find you require Inreach to enter a ballot.

Gone but not forgotten
    I like the idea of being able to contact people and let them know what is going on, but if I had an Inreach I still wouldn't go without my PLB because the people that do the rescues say they are the better option, they have a homing beacon, and they are rated to standards (such as being able to broadcast the emergency signal for a minimum of 24hrs iirc)
    rugerman and Moutere like this.

I have the Inreach Mini. One of the best purchasers I have made. I run the cheapest plan and just go over when I do extra things which doesn’t end up being anymore expensive then having the more expensive plans. The weather reports are awesome and being able stay in contact with my family gives a lot of piece of mind.
    Huntfisheat likes this.

Im on the fence with an inreach. Recently i found out thst Garmin was hacked a couple years ago and their entire system went down until they paid something like a $10,000,000 ransom, which they ended up doing. Very slim chance but it could happen again right when you need it most. Ive only got a plb and may get an inreach in the future but i wouldn't rely on it being my only piece of emergency communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyls View Post
    Im on the fence with an inreach. Recently i found out thst Garmin was hacked a couple years ago and their entire system went down until they paid something like a $10,000,000 ransom, which they ended up doing. Very slim chance but it could happen again right when you need it most. Ive only got a plb and may get an inreach in the future but i wouldn't rely on it being my only piece of emergency communication.
    There’s a number of reasons why it might fail if provided all sorts of random scenarios, just like every piece of equipment. That reason seems pretty ridiculous though lol.
    Reindeer likes this.

How is it ridiculous if its happened? Their systems were down for weeks. Bet you if it happened to say Tesla, thousands would second guess buying one.

Ned
    I thought it was only their fitness platform and the inreach service wasn't affected?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

QUOTE=Ned;1319421]I thought it was only their fitness platform and the inreach service wasn't affected?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Correct.

Personal preferences aside doesn't mean an inreach isn't a good investment. I still think it was the best back country money ive spent.
    Been stuck in Tahr or wap blocks with comms is the best, keeps those at home from going batshit and they can re=-book travel (ferry) for you while you're stuck in country.
    For those that say a PLB because its nz based and there have been occasions where inreach hasn't worked well, if you go looking for incident where something hasn't worked you'll find it.
    You can set up your inreach with the New Zealand base if you insist. Track me kiwi does inreach now. The cost is more than Garmin plans. https://trackme.nz/trackme-nz-on-demand-data/
    Ive been involved with Inreach activated rescues and the best thing about it is there is a constant communication with victim and rescue.
    Personally the Trackme plans is a bit dear compared with what's available with my Garmin monthly sub.

I recommend getting one! if you want a plb as well, I certainly wouldn't begrudge that.
    Strummer likes this.

I stand corrected. I had just heard from word of mouth and was told all of their satellite services were pretty much shut down. It actually put me off buying an inreach just before my roar trip this year.

I have an inreach mini if it is of interest $450, used it to get out of the shit in fiordland this year but not going to need it for a fair while now.