Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By stu#71
  • 1 Post By joelhenton
  • 1 Post By Ned
  • 2 Post By WillB

Thread: Garmin in reach issues

Garmin in reach issues

Hey team, just wanted to pick your collective knowledge, figure I can't be the only one with this issue.

I purchased a secondhand Garmin Inreach 66I GPS. All was well and really pleased with condition etc until I tried setting up a Inreach account - I am told that it I am unable to register the device because it is not registered to me.

Called Garmin InReach help, they stated they do not allow access to the device if it is already registered / previously activated by on someone's account. Explained the situation to them and they said I have to get in contact with the previous owner and ask them to remove the device from their account.
    Have tried to contact the guy I purchased this off with no success (tardme - contact can be complex!).
    Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there anyway to get Garmin to remove the device from an account so that I as the new owner can use it?

Cheers

ebf
    How about asking TardMe for a letter confirming the sale, and then pass that on to Garmin ?
    JoelA likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I think you’re gonna have to use TM to reach the seller, they have to “delete” their now old account
    JoelA likes this.

That's a good idea @ebf, might try that. And have tried, emailed x3 now and no reply yet. Was wondering if somehow his inreach account owes money or something similar that he is not wanting to repay.

Hi @JoelA,
    Yes I just resolved this exact same issue over the last fortnight. It took many frustrating phone calls to Garmin and Pivotel (I had to deal with Pivotel due to my unit being an old Delorme inReach SE) before it was finally set up. It took around 9-10 days before I got it sorted! The previous seller (a forum member) had asked for the unit to be removed from their account but it would seem as though the subscription provider had not 'purged' (their words) the IMEI number from their account and only the subscription had been canceled. I think you will need to contact the original owner so they can have the unit removed from their account, or their account deleted if they're no longer using Garmin's services. As stu#71 mentioned above, contacting the seller from Trademe is probably your only option due to privacy concerns. You should have access to the sellers email from the trademe listing.

Regards,
    Joel
    Last edited by joelhenton; 29-03-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    JoelA likes this.

Ned
    Thats a messy situation. On the upside it gives current owners some level of security as a stolen unit is worthless. Can you still ping the seller with some feedback on the auction? TM should help out. Its like a 1 minute job for the seller to logon to garmin and delete the unit from their account.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    JoelA likes this.

I would think that the seller has a legal obligation here - so TM really should be helping you get in touch if you can't find the email. If you can't get it resolved you should be getting your money back.
    JoelA and Ned like this.

Have you tried resetting the device to factory settings first, that’s what I did with the one I brought second hand.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Ned
    I'm going with WillB's suggestion here. All you have is a Garmin 66 unit. Its not a 66i until you can use the inreach functionality. Goods not sold as described.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk