Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Bradp
  • 1 Post By Sh00ter

Thread: Gear hacks

Gear hacks

After employing the diy safari sling i saw on here to great effect i decided to add some of my own ideas.
    hammocks
    as a bush hunter i have found ive never had a problem finding 2 suitable trees to sling a hammock , but i have had problems finding level dry ground to get a good nights sleep on. a hammock seemed like a great solution plus it gets rid of the ground sheet and air mat in my pack. rather then get a hennesey job i opted to just get a cheap light hammock and put it up under my existing fly, but like everyone else i got cold. after a small amount of research i found that most people use a airmat or underquilt to keep warm in there hammocks,but doing this negates any weight and space savings.
    my solution was to get a small hole sown into the base of the hood in my sleeping bag. then you open the toe zip alittle, and thread the hammock through the sleeping bag and back out the hole in the hood. thus the sleeping bag that was previously compressed underneath you is now hanging underneath like a underquilt.
    i have used this a handful of times and so far has been very effective.

Name:  20200613_163641.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  3.27 MB
    Name:  20200613_163634.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  4.54 MB

Boots
    a few years ago i was trapping possums full time and found myself getting sick of leather boots for a variety of reasons, so decided to give these trail shoes everyone was on about ago.
    the shoes were a revelation and even with a pack full of traps or carrying whole pigs the ankle support has never been an issue.
    a few weeks ago as a was slipping and sliding down a steep face i thought, rugby boots would be the go here. so i got myself a cheap set from the warehouse and these have been another game changer,still light but all the grip you could ever want!
    my next thing to try is to sharpen the sprigs so they stick to rocks better, ill let you know how it goes.
    Name:  20210801_142535.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  5.69 MB

im sure im not the first to think of these things but id never heard of them,so fell free to post up your simple or not so simple hacks because you never know what someone might learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tentman, Beaker, Pixie Z and 1 others like this.

Name:  Tarp set up.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  176.5 KB

A few ways to set up your tarp or poncho, you can easily use sticks instead of trekking poles.
    RV1 likes this.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com