Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: The "Gear I love" thread - An open list for good gear

The "Gear I love" thread - An open list for good gear

Starting this thread as a central point for "Gear I love" so we can find out about new gear that we might have wondered about, or never knew we needed until now!

Really this can be anything, but I'd say it's something you genuinely love and would buy again if you had the opportunity. Entirely up to you, but maybe the name of what it is, a picture if handy, and why you like it (use, quality, price, features, etc etc). This is NOT meant as a sales thread, just stuff that you use regularly or wouldn't want to go without.

I'll start with some hunting and work items I really like:

Bahco stainless tradesman knife
    It's stainless, it holds a remarkably good edge, it's made in Sweden, and it's dirt cheap (currently on sale for $11 from George Henry). I like it for boning out, skinning, and fishing - the edge holds well for stainless, the rubber handle doesn't slip, and being bright orange stops you from losing it. The plastic sheath holds onto a belt well, but seems to have a weak point where the sheath and belt hanger join... I don't really wear it on my belt much so doesn't matter to me.
    It appears to be made in Sweden, possibly under license or in conjunction with Mora.

Name:  31878_38968_6236.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  58.2 KB

Meindl Airstream work boots.
    Got them for chainsaw boots, but find they're comfortable and easy to wear so wear them tramping as well. Certainly pricey, but given it's also PPE it's not as bad. Mine have been badly abused being exposed to chemicals, fire, ash, lack of cleaning etc etc for three years of constant use etc and are only now starting to show wear (melted the middle sole from heat from standing in coals and left ash on the leather for weeks, which tends to crack any leather over time). Also failed to properly clean and re-proof the boots over the "toe flex zone" for 2 years... which Meindl says to do, so it's my fault. Other guys wearing same boots are getting 2-3 years of 5-7 day weeks wearing them timber surveying, so all in all decent. Will be buying another pair of these when the current ones eventually fail.

Name:  cover_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  34.2 KB

Tactix Bluetooth earmuffs
    Bought these on a whim and love them... good noise reduction, and the bluetooth/radio/microphone setup with lots of ear room and padding means I spend a good portion of some days wearing them. Bluetooth allows you to sync with your phone so you don't miss calls, and can listen to music from your phone, or tune into the radio if that's your preference. Speaker quality is decent surprisingly. Can answer calls with the headset on and hear the caller well, and if you aren't in a terribly noisy environment they'll hear you well as well. You also have the option of a mic-to-earmuff button if someone wants to talk to you but it's too loud to take the earmuffs off. This feature is ok, but since they're cheap they don't have noise cancelling, so it's not the same as a $500 noise-cancelling setup... you get what you pay for Battery is running strong at 3 years of use (Li-Ion so don't overcharge and don't run it down to 0% and it'll last ages) and charges from a standard micro-usb. Will cost about $70 and beats the hell out of bigger brand earmuffs for value and function. Seem reasonably tough as I've dropped them etc and nothing major has been damaged. Come with an audio jack if you don't do bluetooth, and a micro-usb charging cable.

Name:  d623a878-5534-4253-a360-d84c1f8f60b6.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  194.5 KB

I'd add a Tikka T3 on here - because they're simply designed and well built, but everyone on here already knows the T3 and either love or hate them, so not much point
    veitnamcam, MB, DemocKot and 1 others like this.

MB
    Warthog sharpener. As someone wrote on another thread, my sharpening efforts used to make my knives blunter! Hunting, filleting knives etc are sharp enough to shave with now.

Last edited by MB; 19-07-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Kuiu Yukon jacket....and trou....don't mind the rain anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Warthog sharpener. As someone wrote on another thread, my sharpening efforts used to make my knives blunter! Hunting, filleting knives etc are sharp enough to shave with now.

absolute game changer for me
    #DANNYCENT

This time of the year, these...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Don't last quite as long as the flash Sitka etc stuff, but less than 1/4 the price.

I honestly do not know how I did without this 3 years ago

023 & 025 Stihl's seldom get used now

Name:  DSC_0003_resize.JPG
Views: 1336
Size:  165.5 KB

CCC stubbies year round
    40mm likes this.

one of the longest running threads on "other pub" is all about the humble bacho knife....great bit of kit.

beercan penny stove in heximine frame....ideal for hot cuppa during day or heating up enough water for a back country meal.

Sarvo boots.....nearly have me converted from my lace up gummies...nearly.
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    one of the longest running threads on "other pub" is all about the humble bacho knife....great bit of kit.

beercan penny stove in heximine frame....ideal for hot cuppa during day or heating up enough water for a back country meal.

Sarvo boots.....nearly have me converted from my lace up gummies...nearly.
    Ha ha - you meant to say from my Lowa Tibets that cost 700$ :-))))
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    My Red Band gumboots....the best
    tetawa, Bill999, Sideshow and 3 others like this.

not even AL........... Granddaddy was a scot...his blood runs true. value for money is in the veins.
    yes I do love the boots...funny how often they have been covered in blood since I bought them,they must be quiet enough for my bush hobbit style LOL.
    $700 for a pair of boots.......yeah nah the bastards would have to do the walking for me at that price.
    johnd and CBH Australia like this.

I brought a Milwaukee m18 battery 15 litre back pack sprayer man it's good for spraying gorse the only thing is they have a filter in the bottom of the tank that can block up easily
    Moa Hunter and norsk like this.

My 5700 elite kestrel would easily be the best bit of equipment I have acquired in the last couple of years followed by the AMP annealer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    tikka likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Tatonka Bison 70+10
    dannyb likes this.

Twin Needle bino harness
    Name:  images (19).jpeg
Views: 1118
Size:  51.4 KB

Cactus Hector pack
    Name:  hector_1_1_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  18.3 KB

Both awesome kiwi made items that for me blow anything else I have had away, and great companies to deal with.
    dannyb likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.