Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gear Wanted

Gear Wanted

Hi all

I am new to the hunting scene and am wanting to get together some gear for hunting trips ..

BackPack (daypack, and or a bigger to suite longer periods away)
    Jackets (XL-XXL)
    Tops (XL-XXL)
    Pants(XL-XXL)
    Thermals
    Boots (size 9, 9-1/2)
    Sleeping Bag
    Cooking/eating Equipment
    Tent

Im not sure what else I need ? any suggestions welcome ,also im trying to do this on a tight budget,so secondhand gear is no problem i would welcome anybody that might have surplus gear for sale to contact me please, id be very keen to talk Turkey

Cheers
    Seano

SiB
    foil emergency blanket (bag is better) and other emergency kit inc fire lighting and light.

think about doing some day trips first before overnighters. Use huts if you're overnighting.

get a good sleeping bag. if 2nd hand probably already lost it's loft - ie heat retention ability/efficiency.

a simple sponge roll will suffice underneath.

a compass - again not a sh1t one. Dream about a GPS. always think; 'what is the worst that could happen to me?'

read some of the other threads - this has been explored elsewhere - you'll get some good ideas.

Don't buy cheap n nasty unless an experienced hunter has told you it's OK. There's some real rubbish out there. There are also some really smart bargains.

If you're hunting with a buddy, look at their kit. don't buy yours until you need it, not just want it.

buy for function - not for style. There's lot's of camo-style rubbish for the paint-ballers - let them keep it.
    Dougie and seano like this.
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

SiB
    and if you start looking at any kit and want advice - take a quick pic of it and post it up here - somebody will have an opinion.......

Familiarise yourself with the retail kit that's available and when you see 2nd hand, you'll begin to know if its worthwhile following up.

I'm on a roll here. I'll stop now
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

Some VERY good points to your post SiB ! Thanks for your advice
    Im planning on day and overnight stays to start with,and yes I intend to utilise doc huts etc if possible,Im looking at getting a full kit (well basics +) as you say think of the worst that can go wrong !?!
    I don't necessarily need brand new gear,so that's why im putting my fingers out to the forum to see what I can come up with ?

GPS ...... "Hides thread from Wifey" lol

There is one or two core ingredients you are missing if you want to go hunting.

a) a rifle of such calibre to kill desired animal

b) a knife to cut, skin and process said animal.

Hehe.

I will look through my pile of stuff and see what I may have for you. I think I have a couple of pairs of older but still ok boots that are your size, as well as other bits and pieces. Just moved house so most of my gear is still packed away and scattered far and wide
    BRADS likes this.

Hi Josh

Have "A" covered
    "B" is a bit shabby to say the least ....lol

Boots would be a Great start and Id be keen as mustard on anything you could flick my way please would be more than happy to pay for PnP and a fix you up some $ for goods.
    Im thinking sooner I have a kit ready ..the sooner ill be able go out have a serious crack at this hunting thing
    mucko likes this.

I wouldn't buy someone elses boots. New ones will "mold" to your feet.
    Asking for advice on "what boot" will open a can of worms as will "what rifle" and "what caliber".
    Sleeping bag - don't skimp. Buy a silk liner to go with it. You can always sleep in the liner if it is too hot, but when it's really cold you will be glad you've got it
    mucko and SiB like this.

While it's important to be prepared for the unexpected, don't think you need to buy a seperate set of "hunting" gear just to get out for a look. If someone gives you some quality gear, then great, but if you're buying stuff you are better to save for something decent quality than buy cheap crap.

Geez, the old timers used to wear old hobnails, a swanndri, woollen singlet and shorts. And carry an old open sighted boomstick and a butchers knife their mate knicked for them from the freezer! But they were often raised in the scrub.

Providing you've got warm clothes a daypack to carry a few essentials in and some sturdy footwear there's nothing stopping you from going for quick day hunts to handy public land blocks.

I lived in Chch for four years and often did day trips into the passes with bare essentials (I was a "poor" student), just to go for a wander about with the rifle. Had plenty of success too.

A couple of things I always have in my daypack; an ignition source (whther it be a lighter, matches, flint, etc) a survival blanket, a warm jacket and a woollen hat, and a compass and map.

And always write down where you are going, for how long and a plan if you are overdue, then give it to your wife/or mate.
    mucko and SiB like this.

PM sent

ebf
    Bahco knife from bunnings

Get a decent compass, maps etc

PLB if you intend going out solo

Do you have reasonable binocs ? Pretty hard to hunt without those...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    Some VERY good points to your post SiB ! Thanks for your advice
    Im planning on day and overnight stays to start with,and yes I intend to utilise doc huts etc if possible,Im looking at getting a full kit (well basics +) as you say think of the worst that can go wrong !?!
    I don't necessarily need brand new gear,so that's why im putting my fingers out to the forum to see what I can come up with ?

GPS ...... "Hides thread from Wifey" lol
    keep your eyes out for a garmin 62s gps they still in very heavy bush one of the best things i have brought for hunting. and think light weight i got a stoneycreek day pack from hamills for $120 i rate it up highly i have packed it full of meat and it took it no worries about it ripping. silva are good hand held compass.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    I wouldn't buy someone elses boots. New ones will "mold" to your feet.
    Asking for advice on "what boot" will open a can of worms as will "what rifle" and "what caliber".
    Sleeping bag - don't skimp. Buy a silk liner to go with it. You can always sleep in the liner if it is too hot, but when it's really cold you will be glad you've got it
    proline boots from hunting and fishing are rubbish.

Keep an eye out here for some reasonable deals. Clearance | End of Season Outdoor Clothing & Equipment | Macpac

You don't need a camo bag because you don't tend to walk backwards too much. I don't at least.
    ebf likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

+1 for the Bacho knife! $12 well spent.

Also I suggest the top to toe packs (Ridgeline or H&F) for some nice mid-layer stuff that won't hurt your pocket
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Also check out Torpedo7 Torpedo7 | Outdoor Gear Store | Extreme Sports New Zealand Shop Online

They have some reasonable jackets and gear. Regularly have sales too, like at the moment. Not hard out hunting gear, but near enough for me. They do a similar top to toe pack that I prefer over my Ridgeline pack.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!