Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Gear you wish you kinda wish you never bought..

Erblestock H2 gunrunner. Far too small for what I needed. Once I shot a deer it got ugly trying to pack it out. The scabbard also ended up collecting half the dam forest and when not in use the empty scabbard let the main body of the pack shift around.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You still got it?
    not for many years, swapped it for a BLR
    Micky Duck likes this.

Pretty much anything I brought from Hunting and Fishing

A few things, but fortunately Ive been able to move them on through here to you mugs

Anything by hunters element,one thing I don’t regret spending money on is decent Sox,at the time I thought $40 for a pair was outrageous but since I had a voucher bit the bullet on some bridgedales,shoulda done it years ago!!
    wekaman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Anything by hunters element,one thing I don’t regret spending money on is decent Sox,at the time I thought $40 for a pair was outrageous but since I had a voucher bit the bullet on some bridgedales,shoulda done it years ago!!
    As far as I know, I've had two bits of hunters element kit. Had to restitch both. Nothing wrong with mine apart from that, but just crappy stitching. Not a confidence builder.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Any electronic scales [scales only no added bits] I've paid NZ 300 or less for, they all drift , all of them.
    Back to my Redding Balance and a teaspoon.
    outdoorlad likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Any electronic scales [scales only no added bits] I've paid NZ 300 or less for, they all drift , all of them.
    Back to my Redding Balance and a teaspoon.
    Any difference to speak of, in groupings?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

The early Garmin Etrex GPS. No signal most of the time. Upgraded to the next model - only slightly better. Now got the model with the map on it and much better. Soooo - 3 models, and I only use it to check ridges/spurs etc. Should have just stayed with the map and compass (which I still take anyway)
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    As far as I know, I've had two bits of hunters element kit. Had to restitch both. Nothing wrong with mine apart from that, but just crappy stitching. Not a confidence builder.
    never had any issues with hunters element apart from severe fading from sunlight. it was the wifes jacket and she kept it in the back of the car. after a few years it looked more like arctic camo than bush camo. was still warm and waterproof though

Spending $10k+ on a full custom rig about 15yrs ago. Schmidt Bender PMII, 30inch No5 barrel, total weight 14.2lb. Would shoot the eyeball out of a hare at 200m but what a waste of coin and felt like dragging round a truck axel. Sold it all and trader for a lighter more practical setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    Spending $10k+ on a full custom rig about 15yrs ago. Schmidt Bender PMII, 30inch No5 barrel, total weight 14.2lb. Would shoot the eyeball out of a hare at 200m but what a waste of coin and felt like dragging round a truck axel. Sold it all and trader for a lighter more practical setup.
    Sometimes admitting the mistake and changing course is the harder option
    rugerman and Max Headroom like this.

Haha.. where do I begin... I have upgraded everything...

Knifes, gerber, cold steel, few no names amd.have settled for a mahogany handled svord skinner knife.
    Thernal... started with an atm thermal scope, then sold that, got a pulsar quantum, some that got a thermion xp50, sold that and settled with accolade xp50lrf.
    Clothing... dont know where to begin, or if I'm ended.
    Tents, startednwith a kathmandu mono, sold that and am now in a bushbuck horizon, will probably well that soon and look for somthing else -kinda want a henessey hammock.
    Many torches and headlamps etc have settledneith a led lenser mt14r, mh10 headlamp with color filter, and a maxtoch.

I'm sure theres a hell of a lot more... but they are the majors lol

Kathmandu anything, but mostly the shite boots that imploded during a hunting trip.

Hunters element pants, what pieces of crap.
    Low box, Ross Nolan and Pixie Z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Kathmandu anything, but mostly the shite boots that imploded during a hunting trip.
    Agree completely regarding Kathmandu boots. Rubbish. I’ve had a couple pairs over the last 6yrs. Bought the first pair cos they were cheapish & I was a poor student. Second pair I inherited from my dad who’d bought some but ended up using other boots. Did the job ok, but were heavy & clunky, didn’t stay waterproof very long, & weren’t actually that comfy on long trips.

Recently picked up a pair of Crispi Nevada Legend GTX boots & absolutely love them.. Exceptionally comfy, didn’t require any breaking in- first time wearing them was doing the Jumbo-Holdsworth circuit in the Tararuas & my feet felt great. They’re a lot lighter than my shitty Kathmandu ones were too. Done a few trips in them now & they’re great. Will definitely be replacing with the same thing when I need to.
    Nick-D likes this.