Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Good, lightweight pack options

Good, lightweight pack options

Hey guys just trying to get some info on a good, lightweight pack that is capable of doing multi day trips. I currently use a 75lt macpac cascade but not a huge fan of it for whatever reason. Have looked at osprey and tatonka bison but Don't really know what to look for.
    Cheers

Osprey Aether AG all day bro! I like the kuiu packs too but can’t yet justify the extra dollars over my osprey.

Tatonka Bison not light either
    superdiver likes this.

Kuiu

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    superdiver and Barnes130 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Osprey Aether AG all day bro! I like the kuiu packs too but can’t yet justify the extra dollars over my osprey.
    Unfortunately no longer available. The new one is the Aether Plus.

When I’m down in Taupo next I want to check out these:
    https://bootsandgear.com/index.php?r...product_id=374

A lot lighter than Tatonkas and supposed to be very durable. Made in Bulgaria I think.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Hyperlight Mountain Gear. i have their southwest 4400 pack (75litre) and at 1100grams its amazing!! would really recommend.
    If you don't want to go that way get a kuiu pack or a osprey
    Danny and Barnes130 like this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

I’ve got a Tatonka Yukon 75, I’m no expert but it’s a good pack. There was a Bison on here a week or two ago and it was a good buy.
    I want one of the Osprey mentioned as above with the day pack inside the lid but struggled to find one.
    For myself I like a strong but light pack, able to handle loads that seem to carry well, I am not a fan of too many compartments in a pack. The Tatonka handles loads well as I’ve had two medium sized reds inside mine comfortably.

What’s wrong with the cascade? I had one but lost it in a fire. Iirc it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

These are excellent light weight packs and great value. Ive thrashed mind and its stood up well.

https://www.gossamergear.com/product...nt=29560217292
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I’ve had nothing to do with lightweight packs. But I bloody love my Tatonka bison 75+10. Stuff plently of meat in it and it stays comfy. Worth its weight in gold I reckon. Curious if some of the light weight options can be as comfy tho?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Unfortunately no longer available. The new one is the Aether Plus.
    Tried my new Aether Plus out the other day. 4 day trip. Went fairly light and all my gear fitted in nice and snug. Carried out the backsteaks and boned out hindquarters of a stag. It was a pretty hard 10.6km walk out over some pretty shitty creek beds and up hill and down dale. 4.30 to the ute and was by far and away the most comfortable carry out I’ve ever had. Well worth the purchase in my book based on this trip. Only down side is that the waist belt chaffed above both my hips. But that might be a breaking in issue.
    My old pack is a Cactus and the Aether Plus beats it for comfort, fit and weight.
    30late and stagstalker like this.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    These are excellent light weight packs and great value. Ive thrashed mind and its stood up well.

https://www.gossamergear.com/product...nt=29560217292
    Looks interesting, anywhere to strap a rifle to it tho?

H.M
    Almost went down the lightweight track but ended up with a cactus Foray and don't find it too heavy at all, simple pack with basic harness system with bugger all padding saves a lot of weight i guess. Still comfy tho once ya get the right size 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Tried my new Aether Plus out the other day. 4 day trip. Went fairly light and all my gear fitted in nice and snug. Carried out the backsteaks and boned out hindquarters of a stag. It was a pretty hard 10.6km walk out over some pretty shitty creek beds and up hill and down dale. 4.30 to the ute and was by far and away the most comfortable carry out I’ve ever had. Well worth the purchase in my book based on this trip. Only down side is that the waist belt chaffed above both my hips. But that might be a breaking in issue.
    My old pack is a Cactus and the Aether Plus beats it for comfort, fit and weight.
    Appreciate that review @gilly as I’ve been wondering what it’s like

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    I got the chaffing at the hips on my first two walks with my Aether, The waist belt needs to mold to you. In the US they heat them and mold to you instore.