Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 15 Post By Driverman

Thread: Good Service

Good Service

Ive had the need of a gunsmith to do a few repairs etc of late and a couple of weeks ago I decided to do something about getting everything sorted, I have a 96 Mauser in 6.5x55 that had a faulty safety, part of the bolt had been damaged in the past and caused the safety to lock up the mechanism under recoil sometimes and was a pain in the arse when a quick follow up shot was needed, Id bought this rifle about 15 years ago when a trip into Maropea forks was planned and I didn't want to take my Finnwolf as It might get knocked around and besides it was pretty heavy so I bought the 6.55x55 for the occasion and altho it remained unblooded I did get 1 shot off. Subsequent hunting forays were also frustrating with this faulty safety coming on and locking the bolt up so I put it at the back of the safe and time has passed.
    I like shooting cast bullets and own a number of 7.62x39 that I have developed very accurate loads for, both super and subsonic, and decided I would suppress a Bisley Bush Ranger (Norinco)that I had acquired about 6 years ago. I just bought an over barrel suppressor from a member here and wanted it fitted to my 7.62x39 Bisley and the barrel shortened.
    I have a Norinco copy of a Browning SA22 take down rifle with a faulty barrel/action lock mechanism that had been butchered by its last owner or gunsmith. It wouldn't allow a consistent tight lockup from reassembly, making an erratic point of aim and shooting all over the place. I bought this from a club member who was totally frustrated with it and sold it off cheap. Id owned a Browning SA22 50 odd years ago and always regret not keeping it so I was a happy buyer when it was offered to me. I remember developing a technique for assembling the barrel for a super tight lockup and thought this could be a good shooter when fixed.
    Lastly a magazine from a 308 rifle that needed sand blasting and re blueing . I had put it aside 38 years ago and gave it no further thought until reading on here a member wanting a piece of gear I knew I had somewhere and went looking for. I didn't find the Burden Decapping tool I was looking for but did refind this Sako Magazine altho it is in a sad state. It had rusted up a tad and was a sad sight. I mentioned this magazine to a colleague on a website in the states and he immediately offered to buy it. It apparently is quite rare so I thought I might get it tidied up and go visit him at some stage.
    I took a day trip to Palmerston North to visit my 1969 Mercury motor cycle that has been undergoing restoration these last 4 years as time parts and money permit and decided to stop at Paraparaumu on the way and get Allen Carr to repair what he could. He emailed me last Thursday with the news to come and pick them up. I went up today and now have my 7.62 shortened and fitted with a sound moderator, The little 22 has Browning lock up parts fitted and feels great. The Mauser bolt has a fully working safety and the magazine will be done in a week or so time when he does a number of blueing jobs. Im feeling pretty pleased. Allen has done a bloody good job at a very reasonable price with no mucking around.

I will be at the range on Wednesday and will have a session. On the strength of that and because its hot I am about to go and sit on the deck with an adequate supply of cold beer and contemplate the universe. When it cools down I will cook up a decent sized piece of rump and then contemplate my place in it. Life is really good and worth living.
    Bryan, mikee, Pengy and 12 others like this.

Great post. Thanks I really enjoyed reading that.

I have used Allen Carr and concur. I like to tinker myself but when I need a gunsmith I need a good gunsmith.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

aye there are still genuine good bastard tradesmen out there who have two very important traits- empathy and commonsense- they know how to do the job -how to do quality work and above all the invoice brings a smile to the customers dial!
    in my day i was privedged to deal with one and hell probably hate me for this but its GUNDOC!
    Rod -a true master of your craft!