Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By scoped
  • 3 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By ROKTOY
  • 2 Post By birch
  • 2 Post By GravelBen

Thread: Good starting vehicle

Good starting vehicle

Hey guys, been ages since i posted on here last. Been busy getting my stuff together.

But seeing as I have been employed to corrupt the young minds of northland Ive got a few bob in my pocket and Im looking to upgrade to a ute or truck of sorts.
    Preferably diesel, manual and not too flash as my price range tops out at 5k.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are a good starting vehicle for a young fulla, what to expect and hopefully what lemons to dodge. The little starlet isnt quite cutting it for space if i throw a few rods or rifles in the back, and the mrs gets a bit weird if there is blood in the car.

Cheers in advance.

My vote is an Isuzu Bighorn. Very strong running gear/motor/gearbox. Reasonably priced too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Jimny!
    sometimes likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Yep jimny are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Jimny!
    He said he wanted something bigger than the starlet though...
    gadgetman, Gerbs and birch like this.

Isuzu mu... Not much bigger than your starlet though, can go anywhere hat the big trucks go, as gadgetman has said the bighorns are great wagons

northdude
    ive settled with a 4 door escudo perfect for the type of hunting and stuff i do

pajero older model 2.8 (providing it has had the diesel pump seals done)
    Totally under rated as a 4wd
    northdude and matto1234 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Pajero, as Mikee said if pump has been done, petrol ones can be thirsty, especially the 3.5L ones
    Bighorn, 2.8 is a bulletproof motor,
    Navara, Terrano, weaker manual boxes due to incorrect filler bung placement, good 2.7 diesel motors though. weak steering components. Terranos used to suffer from Cancer in the rear floorpan.
    Hilux or Surf, Surf has weak steering, better than Nissan of same age though. 2.4 diesels are slugs, go ok if treated like your 95 year old Nana. Hilux is a bit agricultural but reliable drivetrain.
    Prado, good offroad, but 5K will only get a 2.4 Diesel powered one. (love mine)
    Suzuki Escudo/Vitara, small, cheap to run, low ground clearance, restricted tyre size.
    5K may get you into a higher km Safari/Patrol, truck engine, solid truck, just larger dimensions, has potential rust issues in roof gutters otherwise a solid bet. Just takes two oil filters and 10 litres of oil every oil change.

Each has their pros and Cons, Bang for buck, Pajero, Safari/Patrol Prado, Suzuki
    7mmsaum and Haggie like this.

being a mechanic im biased as , nissans and toyotas are tried and true, surfs and terranos are good for the money, for 5 grand you should get some thing awesome, also daihatsu have toyota running gear so they do well, with the nissans stick to the td27 motor 2.7 litre in the old square d21 shape 1986-1996 they are very underated
    tetawa and Eastern Wander like this.

Im a Mu/ Wizard whore- been using one for better part of a decade and as long as you don't pick one with the ill fated engine they keep on going. If you need a part great place in Auckland- Strong for Isuzu. The little Mu is surprisingly spacious in the back.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Im a Mu/ Wizard whore- been using one for better part of a decade and as long as you don't pick one with the ill fated engine they keep on going. If you need a part great place in Auckland- Strong for Isuzu. The little Mu is surprisingly spacious in the back.
    Ummm don't get them wet either..... Overnight with water in the engine bay is never going to be good

What about a lada? Knew an AA mechanic who had one, loved the thing, would go places the big ones get stuck in, could plug a hose into the back to wash it out, and was cheap as chips...

Ladamn good condition would be a rare gem, bit like the Subaru Brumby that someone else was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The little Mu is surprisingly spacious in the back.
    Having spent an hour or so in the back seat of one I would disagree!
    Robojaz and 223nut like this.