Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tertle
  • 2 Post By stretch
  • 1 Post By Pengy

Thread: GPS

GPS

Hey team,

no doubt the rehash of the old "what GPS should I get" thread.

Ive just ben handed a spring hunting and fishing catalogue ( better than week old Australian newspapers!!!) and have seen some great GPS's.

problem is which one! I have a gifted Etrex, very basic and simple, well suited at first but now its time to upgrade. Im not fussed in all the gimmicks but I do lie the colour screens and maps. was tossing up between the etrex 20 or 30 as that fits the price bracket and being honest the amount of use it will get for a while. ( still looking at a semi decent 4x4 to get me a few places the current one cant!!) so yeah whats the best bang for bucks?

The current Etrex will be gifted forward to the next forum user when I no longer need it
    mikee likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have a Garmin 60 GSX. It is well surpassed by newer models now but I have to say it is very reliable. I have only twice had issues with coverage when I have been in deep tree covered guts but nothing that climbing up and restarting didn't fix. The newer models that have surpassed this are comparatively inexpensive and will be even better.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

So long as you get a modern Garmin, you can't really go wrong. Don't worry too much about what official Garmin maps are included, or any free updates to said maps.

The reason I say that is because of the NZ Opensource Garmin Map Project. Take a look at gwprojects.org/forum. Community produced, Garmin compatible road maps an TOPO maps. The road maps are update weekly, in response to user amendments. The TOPO maps are pretty slick, and the price is right - FREE. I'm a contributor on that forum and have built Garmin maps from scratch in past. Happy to answer any questions here or on the other forum.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

+1. Go Mr Purple
    stretch likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1