Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: gps

gps

im considering getting a hand held gps unit, any brands models that are good or any to avoid? basic is fine as ive never used one but i do want to have topo maps on it, whats are your recomendations? thanks

Pretty sure this question has been asked many times. To cut a long story short, get a Garmin. GPSMAP 64 series, or Oregon series or a basic etrex if funds are tight. Don't pay extra for topomaps. Excellent NZ topomaps are available free, legitimately, but they're only compatible with Garmin.

Compare models and features here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cInt...c10341-p1.html

Ejected
    Yeah, I have a 64s, it's never lost signal in the Kaimais yet. I got it for $450 from H&F.
    Willie likes this.

I got a second hand garmin dakota and its mint , i would reccomend any garmin above the etrex series

I recently picked up the Garmin Rino 650. Got the H&F bundle deal with a few extras. Haven't tested it in the field yet but am pretty wrapped with the minimal testing I've done in the car etc.

A hunting mate of mine also picked up on the deal so it'll be damn handy being able to be able to pinpoint his location and find our way towards each other. The walkie talkie's will hopefully come in handy too.

A tad more expensive than some of the others but I'm definitely happy I bit the bullet!

The Garmin etrex 20 is pretty good. A mid priced unit that has colour and can take topo maps. I rate mine, nice and small too.
    hunterw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    The Garmin etrex 20 is pretty good. A mid priced unit that has colour and can take topo maps. I rate mine, nice and small too.
    If you just want a basic one these are perfect and cheap. Used one possuming for 18 months without a fault
    hunterw likes this.

I upgraded from a Garmin 12 to Garmin 600 about a year ago and wished I had done it sooner. The only thing with the touch screen is that you need to use your finger, which is a bit of a pain when hunting in cold conditions as you need to take off a glove, but in saying that I still prefer the touch screen. If you prefer buttons you might want to go with the 64s. The best thing to do is to go down to a store and play with both options.

I recently brought the Alpha mainly so I didn't loose the dog but actually the GPS unit is really good. Can see my mate who also has one and we can both see the dog(s) as well. brillient
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hautapu View Post
    I upgraded from a Garmin 12 to Garmin 600 about a year ago and wished I had done it sooner. The only thing with the touch screen is that you need to use your finger, which is a bit of a pain when hunting in cold conditions as you need to take off a glove, but in saying that I still prefer the touch screen. If you prefer buttons you might want to go with the 64s. The best thing to do is to go down to a store and play with both options.

You can buy gloves with special fingertips now, so don't need to take them off.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

@birch This might suit you: http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...450-gps-25727/

They are like $650-$700 in the shops
    stretch likes this.

TJM
    have the Garmin 62 S and the 64ST doesnt seem to be much difference between the two and im currently trially map toaster in one of them both excellent units

So what's the pros and cons of touch screen vs buttons?

MSL
    The Garmin guy at sika show reckoned the Oregon 650 touch screen was the way to go