Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stretch
  • 1 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: GPS

GPS

What's everyone use I'm looking at a Garmin 62 or 64, what do all the abbreviations mean? Like 64s- 64st- 64? What ones better? Also heard the Garmin Rino 650 could be the go?
    What's the pros and cons of the 3? Any help would be great!

Cheers

Tian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...eProduct=89557

S = includes 3-axis, tilt compensated compass and altimeter. Very useful and worth having.
    T = includes Garmin Topomap. Pointless. Awesome free topomaps are available for NZ anyway, and are arguably better than the official Garmin one.
    C = includes camera. Nice to have. Photos are geotagged. Your smartphone has a better camera though.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Pengy likes this.

SiB
    If you hunt w mates the garmin rhino 650 is handy w included radio.

New models now out so you should see some good deals on these 'old ' models

SiB
    If you bush hunt then watch out for less receptive models. I rate my 650 highly in this regard

Went from a 62s to a Rino 650. The Rino supplied rechargeable lithium battery battery lasts a lot longer that the 62s with the AA cells. If you are going into the wops without a way of charging the unit, you can get a AA cell holder for it too.
    Rino also has the radio feature, and ability to locate a mate who is also using a Rino without having to talk to them - they show up on your map.
    Both units use the same maps, so just threw the Micro SD card from one to the other, and away I went.

Ejected
    So @stretch anything stopping something like the rino 650 working in nz? Frequency issues etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    So @stretch anything stopping something like the rino 650 working in nz? Frequency issues etc?
    US purchased Rinos, Astros, etc aren't legal for use in NZ. They use USA-specific frequencies. The physics of the radio spectrum won't care, but RSM.govt.nz will confiscate the gear and possibly prosecute if it transmits on frequencies licensed to someone else.

@stretch is it possible to get these to work legally?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    @stretch is it possible to get these to work legally?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NZ-legal ones are available through official Garmin stockists. Extremely difficult, if not impossible to modify a US one to work on legal NZ frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    US purchased Rinos, Astros, etc aren't legal for use in NZ. They use USA-specific frequencies. The physics of the radio spectrum won't care, but RSM.govt.nz will confiscate the gear and possibly prosecute if it transmits on frequencies licensed to someone else.
    yep a Nelson fella copped rather a big fine if I remember rightly
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If you get a rino threat it like your child
    On my second one now, still have no idea how the screen cracked
    Yet I'm still on a iPhone 4 which comes on every trip and every day at work and I haven't broken a screen

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Went from a 62s to a Rino 650. The Rino supplied rechargeable lithium battery battery lasts a lot longer that the 62s with the AA cells. If you are going into the wops without a way of charging the unit, you can get a AA cell holder for it too.
    Rino also has the radio feature, and ability to locate a mate who is also using a Rino without having to talk to them - they show up on your map.
    Both units use the same maps, so just threw the Micro SD card from one to the other, and away I went.

I have tried a Rino a couple of times, and it seems to me that the polling feature will only update your mates posi if he/she actively polls you. IE ,. uses the ptt button.
    Was I doing something wrong or is this the case ? The Garmin advertising gumpth suggests you can use this feature to find a man down kind of thing.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I have tried a Rino a couple of times, and it seems to me that the polling feature will only update your mates posi if he/she actively polls you. IE ,. uses the ptt button.
    Was I doing something wrong or is this the case ? The Garmin advertising gumpth suggests you can use this feature to find a man down kind of thing.
    By default, it's the way you've found it. But you can enable remote polling somewhere in the UHF settings for it, to allow other devices that you've added to request the location from your device.
    Pengy likes this.

I prefer the Alpha.
    Pengy likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.