Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Dorkus
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 3 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By Pengy

Thread: Gps coordinates

Gps coordinates

Can someone help me ,ok I got given a fishing spot looks something like this 43-47-75 so the last numbers are only 2 not 3 . Firstly will this still work and how accurate will it be missing a number . And if so how do I load it 075 or750 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It's most likely to be degrees, minutes and decimals. If you put it in your system just check its configured the same if you're trying to input degrees, minutes and seconds it will be confusing (can't do 75 seconds).

If your system wants three digits for the last number add a zero on the end (750). It won't make bugger all difference unless you're doing needle/haystack type stuff. The third digit is down to about 2m accuracy.
    Pengy likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

ebf
    The LINZ website has some online calculators and co-ordinate converters, but they are not exactly user friendly unless you are tech savy.

PM me if you get stuck and I can have a go at getting them into a different format.
    xtightg likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

if it is as I say above, on the unit it should display as 43°47.750'

If it is in the other format it would be
    43°47'xx" (xx noting you can't have 75 seconds)
    There will also be a big "S" next to the latitude (S43° or 43°47.750'S) and an "E" next to the longitude.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

with out knowing for sure what format they used 43.47.750S would be a place to start you should know roughly where it is on a map anyway

ebf
    If it is degrees minutes seconds, the conversion to decimal is pretty easy

d m s

dd = d + (m/60) + (s/3600)
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

You thought you got given a fishing spot
    mikee, Pengy and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You thought you got given a fishing spot
    It's probably the maimai at Ellesmere.
    Munsey likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Can someone help me ,ok I got given a fishing spot looks something like this 43-47-75 so the last numbers are only 2 not 3 . Firstly will this still work and how accurate will it be missing a number . And if so how do I load it 075 or750 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That will get you to my place. Only good for Pilchards
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

When I was a SAR volunteer a few years ago we would use a 6 digit grid reference using NZTM2000. As in the picture photo below where the lats and longs is converted to NZTM the first and last two numbers are removed from the easting and northing numbers and only the middle 3 are used from each.

Name:  IMG_20190531_190555.png
Views: 378
Size:  64.8 KB

When the middle 6 numbers are read it is 594 163 so the numbers you have may be 434 775. These numbers will work in a lot of places in NZ depending on what the first 2 digits of the easting and northing is. The last 2 numbers are only needed by the military to drop things on things to make them disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    When I was a SAR volunteer a few years ago we would use a 6 digit grid reference using NZTM2000. As in the picture photo below where the lats and longs is converted to NZTM the first and last two numbers are removed from the easting and northing numbers and only the middle 3 are used from each.

Attachment 112474

When the middle 6 numbers are read it is 594 163 so the numbers you have may be 434 775. These numbers will work in a lot of places in NZ depending on what the first 2 digits of the easting and northing is. The last 2 numbers are only needed by the military to drop things on things to make them disappear.
    Ok if using a topo map, but not accurate enough at sea
    RUMPY likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1