Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GPS units ... help needed

Hi All,

In the market for a GPS unit .... been doing abit of online research but the online reviews and youtube are not much help.

I dont really want to go and spend $1000 so have been looking at some entry level stuff like the following

Hunting & Fishing

and

Magellan Explorist 310

What do you guys use? any pointers? anything I should stay away from?

This is more than likely going to be used for the odd day hunt if im in a new area and afew overnight/weekend hunts ....

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have had a Garmin 60CSX for at least the last decade. This model which has the topo maps in it has been superceded now but across the years it has been knocked and dropped many times but has proven itself to be very robust and still survives to this day so I have no reason to change it as much as I would like a whizzier version.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hi Tikka I did a lot of research on these and ended up purchasing a Garmin 62s. The best place I found for purchasing units was PB Tech see attached link.

PB Tech - HHDGAR0065 : GARMIN GPSMAP 62s 1.7GB Rugged USB colour outdoor handheld 2.6" LCD built-in basemap w/GPS receiver HotFix &3-axis compass &barometric altimeter Bonus Topo Maps by redemption 1/08/2012 - 31/10/2012

Cheers John

PB Tech are advertising the eTrex20 for $268 with bonus maps for fathers day

Most hamills have a demo model or two for customers to play with .
    Give your local a call to see if their magellen demo is avail.

Had garmins which worked very well but would take a bit of time to get/keep signal under decent bush .Got a magellen 610 now seems to hold on to signal better .Still sorting out all the features on mine but its cool !

thanks heaps for the feedback.

Was going to head into Hamills tomorrow to have a bit of a chat and what not to see what they can reccomend,

Great link to that PB tech!!! looks like i might even save abit of $$ there too.

Cheers,

Marty

Was looking at getting a better GPS ,what is the resolution like on the Garmin's is it as good as the Topo maps?
    Gun control means using both hands

Hello

I have only seriously used dedicated GPS/Plotter units at sea but recently had cause to use one terrestially (is that a word ??) and took a different approach.

I had just purchased a Google Nexus 7 Tablet ($440) and read that they were pretty water resistant, and that battery life is good.

So armed with my Tablet, a $7 download of a mapping app, and a free downloaded 1:50,000 tile I ventured into Fiordland.

I have to say that I only used the GPS once or twice a day to pinpoint a position on a spur and the like (or would have used it to check we were on the right spur if we'd struck fog etc) BUT I was amazed at how it coped- in difficult bush clad spurs where you have to be in exactly the right place or you're bluffed it was a great tool.

It took maybe 2 minutes max to aquire and initialise a position under bush, which is as good as most of the older units I've previously played with. The Fiordland bush is a bit more open than you'd strike on the West Coast or Urerewas. I was careful to turn it off after each use and the battery lasted well, it still had 70 % left after 4 days. The off/on switch does need careful management, it got itself turned on at one juncture.

Probably not everyones cup of tea but I wouldn't bother again with a dedicated unit.

Cheers

get a garmin and then put the free GPS maps from the NZ Mapping project.
    Tony whathisname pretty good to deal with and he'll put the maps on for you and set it up.

Garmin the way to go.

Tentman.... Can you mar clearings /campsites etc on this machine?

Garmin 60 CSX is a great unit and well with in your budget second hand or new, i have had one for many years now and it has never failed, i recommend it to every one but i want the latest and greatest now just to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotkill View Post
    Tentman.... Can you mar clearings /campsites etc on this machine?
    Yep - it'll do waypoints and tracks but I have know idea how long the battery would hold out if it was left on for . The app is Back county navigation

I bought a dakota 20, touchscreen.

yeah im thinking ill stick to Garmin, Heading down to hunting and fishing shortly for a look, more just to have a play with one. will buy online if i go that way ...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Take it for a decent walk and put in a couple of way points if they will let you.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms