Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: gps62s startup issue, master reset won't work, any experts out there?

hills are steeper now

gps62s startup issue, master reset won't work, any experts out there?

Hi - just back from a trip, before I left my and my mates 62s's both had the same issue - the screen would fade out on startup. Eventually that was resolved, I thought it was new batteries. I connected to basecamp and updated software. Trip went well other than that issue returning on last day. I can't connect to Basecamp, as the screen fades out the same whether on battery or usb. I've reluctantly tried master reset, but same deal, it gets to the point of asking if I want to delete all data, I have time to quickly select yes and enter, then it fades out. I've tried with and without sd card in, and everything else I've found on forums etc. No joy.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.....

Sounds like a power issue indeed. I would contact Garmin, they’ve been brilliant to me when I had Oregon GPS issues with usb socket.

They may offer to repair or probably more likely offer you the current model or latest model as a replacement, if you want to top up $s.

Let us know how you get on.

hills are steeper now
    I've struggled to get any response from Garmin to be fair. Their strategy might be working as I'm getting the stitch with it. However - the only real option is to buy another garmin.....

I had an etrex years ago that the screen faded on. Turns out I had held in one of the buttons to long and adjusted contrast. One of the cops on the SAR team grabbed it,pushed the button and everything reappeared.
    Could be a sticky button or moisture causing it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

hills are steeper now
    Yep I put the NZtopo onto the garmin. It is about 8 years old... I agree that Basecamp is a pain, and when you add birdseye into the mix..... But I've worked out how to make custom maps .kmz etc using Google earth or Topo, and have come to terms with the Basecamp interface after hours of frustration.

I was hoping there would be some trick to it, and that some wizard would just say "press and hold buttons x and y whilst squinting". Mainly - I have a track on there from a week back that has the location of a Rusa stag on it in Te Urewera, that I'm keen to recover. But the reality might be that the unit has gone to the other side.....

Gone but not forgotten
    I find Mapsource much easier to use than Basecamp.

hills are steeper now
    Yeah I had a go with mapsource as others said the same, but by that time I'd become reasonably familiar with basecamp. From memory my frustration was mainly trying to transfer birdseye imagery between devices, when one might have an expired subscription. In the end figured out it is easier to use Google earth to make custom maps, probably took me about 40 hours though.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Or get the topo50 app on your phone and you’ll probably never use your Garmin again. I still have mine in my day pack as a back up but can’t remember the last time I used it.
    I resisted this for years, but my boy gave me to cave in the end - wish I done it sooner, not just for the mapping, but the operation functionality, Garmin is backward as fuck to use compared to using my phone to do stuff with the mapping.
    Micky Duck likes this.

i've had the problem you describe in both my 62S and an older map76s I use in my boat. In both cases I found if I whipped the battery cover off and rolled the batteries around under my thumb they would start up again. I lightly scuffed the battery contacts in the back with 800 grit sandpaper it seems to help. I also now avoid using rechargeables and cheap bulk pack batteries from bunnings, jaycar etc in them too.