Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By viper
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 3 Post By ROKTOY
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 6 Post By XR500

Thread: Hammock Recomendations

Hammock Recomendations

Kia ora, thinking about getting a camping hammock instead of lugging a tent around on missions. Do any of you have experience with these or recommendations for such?

I have done a bit with a Hennesy Hammock.
    Good bit of kit as it packs down to little and weights bugger all.
    Excellent over damp / wet and uneven terrain but you need to find good tie off points. In the bush this isn't a problem but tops hunting may limit you more.
    Biggest down side was it was bloody cold , my back would be freezing . You need to pack a light sleeping mat or something to act as a barrier again't the cold.
    Haggie, Shearer, 40mm and 2 others like this.

If you get a Hennessy then get one of the side zip models. Much easier to get in and out of.
    Haggie and caberslash like this.

I have an aliexpress one, ,initially bought to see if I liked the concept.
    It is basic side entry with inbuilt bug screen, have used it for around two years under a tarp. I can't fault it. As Viper says, in colder conditions a mat under you or a quilt to keep your back warm is a must.
    Recently bought a Hennessey set up with purpose built tarp and snakeskins. The bottom entry takes a bit to get used to, and if I was to buy again I would go for side entry, that way you also get to use it as a seat, which is great for camping in damp conditions.
    Great for camping in the bush as you don't need a level site.
    Sleep in them on an angle from corner to corner and you end up sleeping very flat.
    Shearer, Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Used them heaps in SEA and Africa but came back here and boy they can be cold, even in summer, without a mat under you. A simple closed cell mat is all you need, but as others have said, sleep diagonally is the most comfortable way to go, and think about putting string ties on the corners of the sleeping mat, as they tend to walk out from under you and you wake up half way through the night with a frozen arse or shoulder.
    Micky Duck and Swanny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Used them heaps in SEA and Africa but came back here and boy they can be cold, even in summer, without a mat under you. A simple closed cell mat is all you need, but as others have said, sleep diagonally is the most comfortable way to go, and think about putting string ties on the corners of the sleeping mat, as they tend to walk out from under you and you wake up half way through the night with a frozen arse or shoulder.
    Yep, my experience the same. Tie it tight so not much sag in the middle. Bloody cold unless you put a mat in. My klymit blow up fits in good and makes a huge difference. Need a strip of Velcro or sew in strip to stop mat walking out from under you. Can wrap sides right up over you but still need a fly if damp

I have to relate an experience using a hammock:
    Was rafting the Motu several decades ago, at one overnight spot the heavens opened, and it rained and rained and rained. The other two rafts worth of guys were bemoaning the deepening puddle they were sleeping/swimming in, under their fly and I would chip in every now and then, reminding them just how warm and dry I was in the hammock/bivvy bag/tent fly combo above all the sodden shit. About an hour later a big wet slimy heavy thing started moving slowly into my personal space, close to my head. The torch was out of reach, and then it clicked: it was the old ratty black plastic lean-to someone else had left there, and I had set up my shelter next to it. It was filling with water and stretching all out of shape.

I wrangled my arm out of my nice warm sleeping bag and gave it a poke, hoping to see if it would swing away from me. Instead, my finger went straight through the bulging black plastic fly and a jet of water from the enormous bulge squirted right down my arm, and straight into the sleeping bag. By the time I had disentangled myself from my multiple layers of waterproofing, the bloody thing had emptied about 5 litres of rainwater into my now sodden sleeping bag.

The mirth from the fellows lying in the puddles developing under their fly took half an hour to die down...
    AMac, Shearer, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Hunting in the Rimutaka's one night, well after dark set up the hammock next to a creek bed, tied each end to handily spaced trees - all good got it sorted under head lamp light. Middle of the night there is a loud "crack' and one the the trees breaks, I hit the rather rocky ground followed by what turned out to be a rotten tree trunk! Nothing damaged but my dignity and poor dog got a huge fright. Another time up a steep hillside it started blowing hard and raining and water got in under the end where the wind was now coming from, water started to slowly seep in wetting my feet and working up my bag slowly during a very long night. Again setting up in the dark and obviously not setting up or positioning very well.

I never really had a comfortable sleep in it, foam pad would move about and the sleeping posture is not flat enough for me. Gave it away.

Went to a MSR 1 man tent which it 1.2 kg with an Exped mattress which is soo comfortable - just don't over inflate as they get very firm - Dry, warm and comfortable.

Mine is one called a jungle hammock, come with built in bug net, and a fly, has a double bottom so you can stick a mat in it without it ending up in top of you, the ropes are a bit poor but easy to replace, has descent zips and is long and strong. Not super small or light package but smaller and lighter than a tent.

I've got a bottom open Hennessy hammock and use it about half the time.

As others have said they are cold due to a lack of insulation underneath. They do need some extra padding or insulation which adds to weight and size.

Have slept in mine in heavy rain and wind and had great nights sleep. Generally have the dog in it with me on hunting trips