Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ejected

Hammock underquilt

I have used a hennessy hammock for years now and are very happy with the system. Recently upgraded to the size zip model. I have always used a closed cell pad in it which works but all the advice on the net is that a underquilt is better.

Does anybody have any recommendations on which one to get? I found this one at gear shop but it's since sold out and more importantly is 900g

DD Hammocks - Hammock Underblanket | DD Hammocks camping and travel hammocks and tarps | Gearshop

Can anybody recommend a down one that won't break the bank either in NZ or from overseas. An overseas one would have to be under $400 to avoid the gst limit and make financial sense.

Comments\feedback appreciated.

Check out Enlightened Equipment's offerings. I've just ordered their Enigma quilt but wont get it until a friend brings it back next month, so I cant comment on quality etc now but prices seem pretty competitive.

Hammock gear are a good bet, have one of their top quilts and its awesome. Enlightened are awesome but have a long ass wait.
    If you want to keep cost and weight down go for a 3/4 length and use a sitpad or pack for you legs

Ejected
    Thanks for the replies. I am looking hard at the jacks r better quilts as well. Will check out the two that have been suggested. My current mat is 450g, not that warm and fairly bulky. While the lighter weight and less bulk of the torso length quilt is appealing I am tempted to go with the full length one given that I am a tall bugger and get cold feet. I do have a sit pad that doubles as the back panel of my pack.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Hammock gear are a good bet, have one of their top quilts and its awesome. Enlightened are awesome but have a long ass wait.
    If you want to keep cost and weight down go for a 3/4 length and use a sitpad or pack for you legs
    Do you know how much they weigh? Not listed on the web site which makes it hard to choose.

Ejected
    At that price range I'd buy a bag then get someone with a bit of skill to hack it for you. End up with two at least and can't see it being that big a deal.

I have always just used a slightly under inflated themarest underneath and a sleeping bag on top, mine has a seperate compartment for the thermarest so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Do you know how much they weigh? Not listed on the web site which makes it hard to choose.
    Click on specs at the top of the description, might not work on a phone?. The incubator UQ which is 3/4 length 20 deg (-7c) and weighs a shade under a lb.

If I did my top quilt again I would go with an ounce overstuff as the 850 and 900 down can be a little prone to lumping.

I have a JrB old rag mountain as well, they are cool as they can be used as either a top or underquilt. Bit heavier though at a bit under 800g but crazy warm. Think its like -12c rated?

Might have to buy a hammock at some point, they look pretty comfortable

Ejected
    Click on specs at the top of the description, might not work on a phone?. The incubator UQ which is 3/4 length 20 deg (-7c) and weighs a shade under a lb.

If I did my top quilt again I would go with an ounce overstuff as the 850 and 900 down can be a little prone to lumping.

I have a JrB old rag mountain as well, they are cool as they can be used as either a top or underquilt. Bit heavier though at a bit under 800g but crazy warm. Think its like -12c rated?

Might have to buy a hammock at some point, they look pretty comfortable
    Thanks for that. Wasn't looking hard enough. This is the comparison spreadsheet and the Hammock Gear does stack up as the best. Just got to read reviews and do a freight comparison now.

Name:  hammock comparison.PNG
Views: 911
Size:  13.7 KB

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    At that price range I'd buy a bag then get someone with a bit of skill to hack it for you. End up with two at least and can't see it being that big a deal.
    I thought about that but all my old bags are synthetic and therefore bulky and heavy. Also getting twinneedles to do stuff isn't cheap, can quickly add up to $100 for an hour or twos labor. Not complaining just stating that it all adds up.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I have always just used a slightly under inflated themarest underneath and a sleeping bag on top, mine has a seperate compartment for the thermarest so not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    With a standard width mat I always found my shoulders got cold. Based on the suggestion I read here I brought a double width closed cell pad from the warehouse and cut it down to fit both me and the asymmetric shape of the hammock. It works well but I find it a little bit sweaty to sleep on and can be cold on colder nights. Adding a partially inflated 3/4 thermarest cures both these problems but then you end up caring two pads. Also the closed cell mat is quite bulky when tied to the side of my pack. Based on the reviews underquilts are supposed to be the snizzle.

I would go the incubator 20 over the 40 man, bit more of a flexible temperature range -7 vs 5ish

I have the EE Revelation top quilt, its a 0 'C bag with down fill and goes about 600 Grams Some people say for an Under quilt to go synthetic, for better moisture management.
    The EE is a good unit for hut stays but i boost it up a bit for tenting / hammocking.
    I made a underquilt out of climashield, that I can dome onto the EE if I am on the ground.

Ejected
    I would go the incubator 20 over the 40 man, bit more of a flexible temperature range -7 vs 5ish
    The trouble is by the time you add shipping you are in the over $400 nzd having to pay GST territory and nobody wants to be there. I am not even sure if I can add a 1oz overstuff without getting dangerously close. I think it will be warmer than what I have and I can always supplement it with a pad.

I just noticed that they have cuban fiber hex tarps. So many things, so little money, arrgh.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I have the EE Revelation top quilt, its a 0 'C bag with down fill and goes about 600 Grams Some people say for an Under quilt to go synthetic, for better moisture management.
    The EE is a good unit for hut stays but i boost it up a bit for tenting / hammocking.
    I made a underquilt out of climashield, that I can dome onto the EE if I am on the ground.
    I think it will be ok. It's water resistant down, dwr treated fabric and I have a hex tarp that provides good coverage. The secret to hammock camping is to camp in sheltered trees so that the rain comes straight down no blowing horizontally. My previous Hennessy hammock had the normal asym tarp (as opposed to the bigger hex one) which was only just bit enough to cover the hammock if the rain came straight down. I always stayed dry although admittedly not by a large margin.