Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Handheld gps help

Handheld gps help

G-day all,
    New to the site so haven't had a chance to check out forums so some answers may be there already.
    Looking at getting a gps can anyone recommend any, my main use will be possum trapping,thanks.

depends on what you want it to do....if all you want is to know where the truck is if weather craps out and visibility is zero...an old yellow etrex will work...it tells you how far in what direction...it WONT guide you around obsticles or show maps....most newer models will do that easily.....if you want to mark locations of 50 traps you cn do that too.....just a matter of reading the manual....your budget will be deciding factor in what you get.
    personally I still just use ol yellow.......I dont go into that many tiger country new areas and when I do I have paper map n compass (read Im a tightwad old fart)
    mimms2 likes this.

Have seen a garmin gpsmap 76s secondhand for a good price but not sure if I should get used or get new etrex as they sound OK.
    Maps would be good waypoints a must and take the knocks & work under thick canopy as its pretty rugged bush.

Gone but not forgotten
    I'm a fan of Garmin stuff, had a couple of yellow etrexs, a couple of nuvi's for the vehicles, and use an Oregon for hunting and fishing.
    The Garmin ones can use the open source maps, so free topomaps, auto-routing driving, etc.

You could try using a phone with a map app. Bloody good.

Is the gpsmap 76s worth looking at?
    Has anyone used / using one, auction ends tomorrow so any information greatly appreciated

Phone with map gps is pretty good now. I use a Garmin 62s. It’s a basic older model with topo maps and it’s been awesome, never let me down, tough as. The newer 64 models be the same.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, with much research (and checking the wallet) have ended up getting an etrex 20x.
    So that should hopefully turn up in the next few days, meanwhile have not been able trap as the weather has been s##t.
    Will let you know when I get & have used for a while how it goes for me.
    Thanks again

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    depends on what you want it to do....if all you want is to know where the truck is if weather craps out and visibility is zero...an old yellow etrex will work...it tells you how far in what direction...it WONT guide you around obsticles or show maps....most newer models will do that easily.....if you want to mark locations of 50 traps you cn do that too.....just a matter of reading the manual....your budget will be deciding factor in what you get.
    personally I still just use ol yellow.......I dont go into that many tiger country new areas and when I do I have paper map n compass (read Im a tightwad old fart)
    Or bushnell back track will do same thing