Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Heli Trip Gear

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    396

    Heli Trip Gear

    Hey Guys I've managed to get Teichelmann Creek (love to hear from anyone that's been in before) for the ballot period from the 12th of May. Camp is high up do wondering what gear people would chuck in the kit. Thought we could make a thread. For recommendations for anyone going in via Heli as there are a few things that differ to normal such as being able to get in much more gear. Well when your light like I am you can.*
    Things that pass people's minds as well would be good to as I'm thinking the altitude may be enough to cause issues with jetboils and other cook sources so what's are the best options.*
    Let the teaching begin.
    lumberjack likes this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,256
    Think you will find a thread has been created for this...

  3. #3
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    6,555
    Every year it's almost a joke watching the parties turn up at the various load out spots with ridiculous amounts of beer and all sorts of crap and then gettig told by the pilot to throw it all back in their vehicles. I think it was last year at the Whataroa carpark we watched a party of four (they were flying in two trips in a md500) and they had such a ridiculous amount of crap it was funny, they must have literally had about two or three boxes of "wild moose" each for every day they were going to he in there, a jumbo pack of 18 toilet rolls, and all sorts of stuff. It was funny looking at their meagre piles once the pilot had fucked around weighing all their shit and putting more than three quarters of it back in their vehicles. I think they expected a bloody Chinook was coming to fly them in or something and they were going to sit around at their small town sized camp and get pissed on Wild Moose pre mixers and shit themselves all day everyday they were in their block.
    Shootm, veitnamcam, BRADS and 7 others like this.

  4. #4
    Member outdoorlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,757
    Lightweight small collapsible camping chair each & a tarp/fly for a dry area if it rains so your not stuck in your tent.
    Sunglasses/ sunscreen if your going to be near the snow, ice axe, warmest sleeping bag you have. Down jacket & your usual winter hunting gear. Proper food, decent cooker & tent. Done!
    Munsey, BRADS, Beaker and 4 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Think you will find a thread has been created for this...
    I couldn't find anything obviously didn't have the right search terms. Tried Heli gear chopper gear ballot gear etc etc and didn't see anything so I created a thread with an appropriate title so if anyone has the same quetion i could find it. Also not to be rude but generally it becomes hard to find info when in every thread someone posts there's another thread about it without referencing that thread.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,697
    Just take your normal hunting stuff plus a few creature comforts, like a chair and tarp. I usually take a better cooker as the big bonus of fly ins for me is real food and hence I like to have a bit of a cook up each night. Hate trying to get a steak on a little pocket rocket type cooker
    Stocky likes this.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Every year it's almost a joke watching the parties turn up at the various load out spots with ridiculous amounts of beer and all sorts of crap and then gettig told by the pilot to throw it all back in their vehicles. I think it was last year at the Whataroa carpark we watched a party of four (they were flying in two trips in a md500) and they had such a ridiculous amount of crap it was funny, they must have literally had about two or three boxes of "wild moose" each for every day they were going to he in there, a jumbo pack of 18 toilet rolls, and all sorts of stuff. It was funny looking at their meagre piles once the pilot had fucked around weighing all their shit and putting more than three quarters of it back in their vehicles. I think they expected a bloody Chinook was coming to fly them in or something and they were going to sit around at their small town sized camp and get pissed on Wild Moose pre mixers and shit themselves all day everyday they were in their block.
    I can imagine. I've been used to stripping to the bear min because of accessing by foot over the East coast. There's three of us a 420kg limit and all together we weigh under 200kg. So have some weight to play with but need weight left over to bring out that big bull hopefully. Dont often bring alcohol in anywhere hunting I don't really see it to be a good mix but may bring a box for those successful days if weight allows.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,697
    Also i usually take a poly chilly box with a few frozen water bottles to keep the food cold. Drink the water when defrosted and use the box to haul the meat out
    sako75 and Stocky like this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Lightweight small collapsible camping chair each & a tarp/fly for a dry area if it rains so your not stuck in your tent.
    Sunglasses/ sunscreen if your going to be near the snow, ice axe, warmest sleeping bag you have. Down jacket & your usual winter hunting gear. Proper food, decent cooker & tent. Done!
    Have a huntech bivvy i was thinking may be a suitable cooking/ gear storage. May need to invest in a down jacket. Didn't even think about the chair! Will definitely be great for a week of glassing. What type of cooler do you recommend? Thinking the jetboil maybe out if it's element at that height and temp.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Unihunter View Post
    I couldn't find anything obviously didn't have the right search terms. Tried Heli gear chopper gear ballot gear etc etc and didn't see anything so I created a thread with an appropriate title so if anyone has the same quetion i could find it. Also not to be rude but generally it becomes hard to find info when in every thread someone posts there's another thread about it without referencing that thread.
    Fair enough, I just thought it had been brought up before. the search function can be a bit difficult at times.

  11. #11
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    6,555
    If you want a celebratory drink take a decent bottle or two of red or a nice whisky, it's nice having a wee dram before bed up in the cold wilderness plus it weighs and takes up less room than beers. We had Lambert river year before last and it was awesome because big chunks of ice would fall down off the glacier so we took them to camp and broke them up and had a wee dram on the rocks each night haha
    veitnamcam, Bryan, GWH and 1 others like this.

  12. #12
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    If you want a celebratory drink take a decent bottle or two of red or a nice whisky, it's nice having a wee dram before bed up in the cold wilderness plus it weighs and takes up less room than beers. We had Lambert river year before last and it was awesome because big chunks of ice would fall down off the glacier so we took them to camp and broke them up and had a wee dram on the rocks each night haha
    Just memories now Ryan....you are stuffed, you're getting married ha ha
    madjon_, Beaker and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

  13. #13
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    6,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Just memories now Ryan....you are stuffed, you're getting married ha ha
    I'm going for a walk for a few days start of February, first time on the hill since May last year.... the marriage is nothing it's this bloody self employed dairy farming that puts the brakes on everything
    Mathias likes this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Fair enough, I just thought it had been brought up before. the search function can be a bit difficult at times.
    It likely has in some obscurely named post. Will probably find it some time when strolling through the archives in the future.

  15. #15
    If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mighty Manawatu
    Posts
    2,735
    If you’re after a trophy I’d be packing a few kg of plain salt for headskins.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

    I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Haast Heli?
    By yerimaginaryM8 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 10:19 PM
  2. FS: Heli Sika trip/voucher
    By XBoltstalker in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-10-2016, 07:52 PM
  3. Queenstown area heli ?
    By Full noise in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-02-2016, 08:22 PM
  4. Fiordland Trip - gear
    By PerazziSC3 in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 09:59 PM
  5. Heli Hunt
    By Johno in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 08:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!