Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help Needed with Water Pump Advice

Bos

Help Needed with Water Pump Advice

Hoping some of you folk with more knowledge than me can help. Bit out of my depth to be honest.
    We want to pump water from the creek, roughly 70 meters, and uphill to the water tank which is about 6 meters above the creek. This is out at the hut we've been restoring
    Was just going to buy a portable 4 stroke pump with 2 inch inlet and outlet, and some lay-flat hose., The one Im looking at is rated 5.5 HP and capacity of 30m3 per hour
    Any advice or suggestions would be great
    Thanks

Bos
    What I'm asking is whether a pump with this capacity is enough, given the distance and the lift

I'm pumping 90m elevation about 500m with 25mm pipe with a 4 panel solar system.
    I measured it the other and at the tank doing 300l an hour.
    Not heaps but enough as 30,000l tank

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Hoping some of you folk with more knowledge than me can help. Bit out of my depth to be honest.
    We want to pump water from the creek, roughly 70 meters, and uphill to the water tank which is about 6 meters above the creek. This is out at the hut we've been restoring
    Was just going to buy a portable 4 stroke pump with 2 inch inlet and outlet, and some lay-flat hose., The one Im looking at is rated 5.5 HP and capacity of 30m3 per hour
    Any advice or suggestions would be great
    Thanks
    How much fall do you have in the creek - can you fit a ram pump?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    You need the pump curve. Some are designed for pressure (lift), others are rated for flow. Some can do both. HP rating is not enough to work on. That said, 6m lift is bugger all. There may be more head lost in the lines. What size line are you using. 2" is pretty large if you're filling just a tank. 30m3/hr is 8l/s. That's a slab of beer every second.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    You need the pump curve. Some are designed for pressure (lift), others are rated for flow. Some can do both. HP rating is not enough to work on. That said, 6m lift is bugger all. There may be more head lost in the lines. What size line are you using. 2" is pretty large if you're filling just a tank. 30m3/hr is 8l/s. That's a slab of beer every second.
    A very quick look also has a 2" steel pipe giving 1.8m of head via frictional losses at 3.5m/s for 30m3/hr. This maybe an ask for the pump if you have it trying to suck up the hill as most need +ve NPSH to function correctly. This does not allow for any valves or a check in the line which you will most probably need to keep it primed. If you can leave the pump at the creek it would be easier.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    How much fall do you have in the creek - can you fit a ram pump?
    I run a ram pump in our creek a biggish one 4" drive pipe.
    But a young guy knocked one of these up.
    They work.
    Neighbour a piddly little one 1/2" fittings that beats away.
    https://www.instructables.com/Hydraulic-Ram-Pump/
    Maca49, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Hi BOS,
    As Kiwijames pointed out the pump specs are critical to get something that will do the job.
    70 metres head equates to 7 Bar pressure.
    Many of the cheap petrol driven pumps seem to have a max head of around 30 metres and max suction of 6-7 metres.
    You don’t want to be at the limit of what the pump was designed to do or you will be disappointed as wear or price point manufacturing stop it working.
    There are pumps that will do that head no problem but often more expensive twin impeller fire pumps.
    The suggested water ram would probably work fine if you had time to make it or possibly consider a small AC electric water pump and plug into a portable generator you may already have. Some of the old brown brothers or prices bulldozer pumps did high heads and they pop up on TM from time to time.
    Either way a foot valve on the suction line is a must and a priming T at the inlet would help when you go to use it after an extended period.
    Good luck
    kiwijames, Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.

Bos
    Appreciate all the advice, and thanks Hugo for the tip re the foot valve. Im assuming this is the same as a non-return valve so that both the pump and the suction pipe can be primed without any loss of water back into the creek. Seems these new pumps dont like to run dry at all
    I'm thinking we'll place the pump on the gravel beside the creek so the uphill 'suck' out of the creek to the pump would only be 500mm max, over 2 meters. From there its about 60 - 65 m to the tank and uphill about 6 m

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    Hi BOS,
    As Kiwijames pointed out the pump specs are critical to get something that will do the job.
    70 metres head equates to 7 Bar pressure.
    Many of the cheap petrol driven pumps seem to have a max head of around 30 metres and max suction of 6-7 metres.
    You don’t want to be at the limit of what the pump was designed to do or you will be disappointed as wear or price point manufacturing stop it working.
    There are pumps that will do that head no problem but often more expensive twin impeller fire pumps.
    The suggested water ram would probably work fine if you had time to make it or possibly consider a small AC electric water pump and plug into a portable generator you may already have. Some of the old brown brothers or prices bulldozer pumps did high heads and they pop up on TM from time to time.
    Either way a foot valve on the suction line is a must and a priming T at the inlet would help when you go to use it after an extended period.
    Good luck
    He has only 6m vertical plus line losses. With a foot valve added I think it will struggle if it's not at the creek.

Apologies to the more intelligent out there.
    Somehow I missed the 6 metre total head and ran off with the 70 metres in my head as the total lift. It should be easy to find a pump that will do that as long as the suction is within spec

Bos
    So just as a final conclusion to all this, we bought a small 1.5 inch (40mm) pump with a 3 m suction and 70 m of lay-flat hose. Had to cut about 8 m of the layflat so total distance from the pump to the tank was 60 odd m and about 7 m high
    Primed the pump and the suction hose (with a foot valve fitted) and cranked her up. Pump was on the gravel next to the creek so height from creek to pump would only have been 1 meter or less
    Started second pull and took just short of 15 minutes to fill 1100 litres
    Pretty awesome really. Now just need to make a wire type jenny to wind up the lay-flat. Next trip I'll post some pic's

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Go see your local vollies (rural fire)... they'll show you how to roll up, and roll out, layflat.
    Thats probably where he got the Jenny idea from...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Bos likes this.