Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By possum_shooter

Thread: Help picking a 3 season sleeping bag

Help picking a 3 season sleeping bag

I'm after a new bag as i only have a nasty summer bag. I had a look in a few shops and the choices are a bit overwhelming prices can vary alot for similar rated 3 season bags. I will probably go with a synthetic as they seem more economical.
    I don't do many over nighters but that's mostly because i have been studying, now that im almost finished im hoping to improve on that. Instead of buying another rifle i will spend the money on getting better equipment.
    Last overnighter i did in an open 3 sided hut and i had on most of my clothes just to stay warm. I really don't want to do that again, it was a horrible sleep.

Most of my hunting will be in the central north island. And usually sleep on a foam mat or thin air mattress under a tarp. price range im thinking about $200 but can spend more for a well recommended bag. Packablilty is more important that weight but light still helps. I see hunting and fishing do a Palm Visa 0 degree comfort rating that looks like it will do the job nicely. Is it worth going to a -5 rated bag?

and does anyone have any recommendations for ground mats to sleep on?

Thermarest Neoair is the best mat I reckon, but it is expensive. Exped synmat 7 is a cheaper alternative.
    A good sleeping bag is not cheap unfortunately and $200 won't get you much and would be wasted money. I have a Macpac Express 400 I picked up off trademe for $250, but new are a lot more. Keep an eye out on Macpac for sales you will save a lot. Try and find an 800 loft 500-700 g bag.

Here is a 2nd hand Macpac express for $80ish http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camp...-977672933.htm
    Last edited by stug; 06-11-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    Danny likes this.

Will A down bag like that be cool in summer? or do you get too hot and stuffy?

Just unzip it and use it as a quilt. A 400g bag won't be too hot. I use mine from now until autumn down here in the South Island

Gee thats light haha. I will go in stores and have a proper look at some of the down bags. seems like most are water resistant now days to keep the down dry.

Remember that you spend roughly a third of your trips in it so getting a good night sleep is pretty high on my list and would spend the extra dollars if I could. Even hold off until you have a bit more money. A would also go for a down bag rather than synthetic, they just packdown and weigh so much less.
    Remember buy once cry once
    Danny likes this.