Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: HI VIS GEAR

Angry HI VIS GEAR

Hi
    I'm starting to get into deer hunting.
    I don't want to get shot.
    I've searched through the forums here and found that blaze pink is the best color recommended???!!!
    Do they make this for men or do you just buy womens kit? I must say that what I've seen on the net didn't look all that stand outy (I think it was the stoney creek pink stuff, kind of just looked pinkish white)
    I'm a pretty big fulla (hopefully that helps me not getshot) so might not be able to get the womens shit to cover me!
    I'm not all too worried about whether or not I get camo gear and gave up on looking cool ages ago. Would road worker type glowy hi vis kit with reflective tapes be best?
    I don't know how anybody could mistake that for a deer???! Not too worried at this point about being seen by deer, I figure they'll smell you and hear you 100 times before they see you

Sorry if this is repeating an old thread, I just want to stay safe.
    Peace out

Thats interesting about pink colour ive always found blue sticks out like dogs balls and is a unnatural colour in the bush

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Reindeer likes this.

Blue is the best color as it is across the color wheel from the reds and oranges.
    Mathias likes this.

I had a fellow hunter unexpectedly walk through a river flat that I was looking over for animals at dawn and his blue blaze gear stood out clear as could be, so another vote for blue here

Yep...NATO blue...Stoney Creek do it....

While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post

Unfortunately from personal experience that would make you "Mr Wasp's" best mate down here
    Scouser likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post

Steely blue even. And maybe some brass egg shaped things....
    Dougie and Scouser like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

yep wasps love blue in the lower South Island and Stewart Island don't know about up north.
    However I have found if I ignore the wasps they don't bother me but have heard of others who have been stung just sitting quietly and not threatening them at all.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

HI VIS GEAR

Hunting companion and your method should be top on your list - I wear no hi viz anymore (don't even own it, only on my dogs) but am very selective of who I hunt with and we have strict SOPs (we don't split up, if we do who give a eff about the hunting, it's all yelling from there!). Recently I split from a mate but luckily we had cell reception and could communicate that all hunting was off until we were reunited.

Enjoy and stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

I've found the blue disappears (it goes grey)in fading light faster than orange and I 've had no experience with pink. Some of the washed out orange colours can look like tussock/deer depending on the light and time of the year, so it pays to keep that in mind! Maybe consider a combo, orange top/blue hat - blue top/orange hat etc to cover your bases as in @ Scouser pic above
    Scouser likes this.

I want to see the big fella in Pink!!!

I hunt in blue blaze in the roar, sometimes outside of the roar, When hunting and split up just stick to the basic rules of identify your target. I dont blaze my dog up, and she is a Vizsla, all i say is you shoot my dog ya better run fast!!

Hamish
    Dougie, Scouser and 223nut like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Very true about the wasps, I got stung wearing blue t-shirt tramping in the North Island.......rather be stung than shot though!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

To be fair mate i would stress about getting shot or how much blaze your wearing.

1st the chance of being shot is slim to none and to get shot while hunting solo is even less of a chance.
    2nd people have still been shot wearing blaze

3rd buy good quality clothing. It doesn't have to be a "Hunting Brand" just good gear.
    Your far more likely to run into trouble getting caught out with exposure making good gear far more important then cheap "blaze" clothing.
    tetawa, BRADS, Scouser and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    To be fair mate i would stress about getting shot or how much blaze your wearing.

1st the chance of being shot is slim to none and to get shot while hunting solo is even less of a chance.
    2nd people have still been shot wearing blaze

3rd buy good quality clothing. It doesn't have to be a "Hunting Brand" just good gear.
    Your far more likely to run into trouble getting caught out with exposure making good gear far more important then cheap "blaze" clothing.
    like slipping over ah??
    BRADS likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    like slipping over ah??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk