Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How big a pack?

How big a pack?

Does one need for the basic experience for maybe three nights in the wide world north island style? I am looking at buying a new pack and thinking maybe 60L would do it...?
    Dan M

I got a Macpac Ravine 65L for $199 at the macpac sale the other day, the guy fitted it to me with sandbags so it didnt protrude up past my shoulders which was one of my stipulations, I will be using that mostly as a daypack and for work though I think you could go a couple of days out of if easy.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    Danny likes this.

I use a 45 litre Macpac weka...easy big enough for 3days with fly mattress etc... Check out Macpac clearance page mean deal on 50 litre pack, down to $150 with another 20% off in store... Wouldn't mind a spare for myself...
    Mind you, the way you breeding a 60 litre might be good to pack in those extra nappies...
    Danny likes this.

GWH
    I find it comes down to what sort of hunting you will be doing. Ie if I'm going into open country and plan to be shooting at longer range I have extra gear to take. Big camera and tripod, bigger binos, range finder pouch etc etc. No way I could get all my over night gear and the above gear in a 45L pack, let alone 3 nights.

65L Macpac for me.
    Danny likes this.

If you plan on shooting something you have to consider what you are carrying out, not what you are carrying in.
    I am still using my 75 litre Fairy Down Terra Nova and I have never found it too big on the way in. Sometimes only just big enough on the way out.
    nor-west, gadgetman, GWH and 4 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Not that I have been doing f all lately but I can do two nights comfortably out of my 35l elberstock, thats bivi bag,sleeping bag,rifle ,cooking gear,food, water bottle,emergency equipment,full change of clothes, binos,rangefinder, phone,camera, knife etc etc and still manage to pack out all meat from a red.

The bigger the pack the more stuff you will put in there guaranteed!
    Danny and blake like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not that I have been doing f all lately but I can do two nights comfortably out of my 35l elberstock, thats bivi bag,sleeping bag,rifle ,cooking gear,food, water bottle,emergency equipment,full change of clothes, binos,rangefinder, phone,camera, knife etc etc and still manage to pack out all meat from a red.

What you take in is just a matter of self control VC and I am usually limited by weight on the way out, not room.
    kiwijames likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

How big a pack?

Thanks, interesting points - the 35L vs 60L and I'll be packing in only bare necessities for bush stalking and a fly camp, so simply wet weather gear, tent and odds and sods.
    As far as meat is concerned my twinneedle pack is ample and the question would just be if I can strap it onto the other.
    One point the rain up here (and it seems to always be raining) is to me almost worse than the cold as wet weather gear becomes a must have and then packing the wet crap out again is a bugger.

I'd almost say that 40L would be too small for my needs...
    GWH and deer243 like this.
    Dan M

I wont go anywhere without my 85ltr pack...... day hunt is a pikau but overnight and the big pack comes along.
    Smiddy, Danny and Chur Bay like this.

Used an ex-BHP Billiton supplied pack for a 3 dayer in the Tararua's - Monday after Kaikoura.
    Worked for BHP, 7 years, in NW of WA until I retired and came home.
    Weather was raining, blowing and ground shaking.
    Pack was great as a day in/out type, but was a little overloaded for 2-3 day expeditions, estimated 25L - not that comfortable.
    Xmas was very pleasant - Stoney Creek Buller 60+10 - which has yet to be used.
    Too much else interfering with an expedition to test it out.
    $400 including discount at H&F Masterton.
    Danny likes this.

Danny and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

35 l? I dont think i could do that with all the gear plus a boned out animal.Good on you if you can but i need a bigger pack for sure. Thinking my Badlands 2800 might just be big enough but havnt done any fly camps as yet and that be the smallest i go i was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    35 l? I dont think i could do that with all the gear plus a boned out animal.Good on you if you can but i need a bigger pack for sure. Thinking my Badlands 2800 might just be big enough but havnt done any fly camps as yet and that be the smallest i go i was thinking.
    It is a squeeze but I deliberately got a smaller pack to make me take less shit.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    deer243 and blake like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i cant see how you can really take enough gear to be safe for all year round hunting with a 35-40 litre pack. you must have a very compact sleeping mat and bag, and be able to fit 2 back legs and backsteaks if you shoot something.

personally though, for a lightweight trip ill take a 60ish litre pack, i have two.. a deuter and an exped (weighs 1kg)

youll want to take into consideration the sort of gear youre using for the time of year, in summer its easy to get away with just a fly and a warm jersey, but a trip on the tops or maybe in winter you might want to pack a proper tent, so there goes up your need for warm gear and might need some extra pack space

for longer trips i was using a 80 litre macpac but the harness wasnt adjustable so i bought a tatonka which has awesome adjustment for any size person and at 90 litres it has more than enough room for a week or two expedition. ill usually take a pikau or soft foldable daypack for hunting away from camp
    #BallisticFists

You should put up a pic of your gear beside your pack @vietnamcam for a 3 nighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts