Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Hunt Smart - anyone using it?

Hunt Smart - anyone using it?

Hey team,

is anyone using Hunt Smart from Peak Performance? If so how do you find it? I wanted to buy a couple of single serve sachets to give it a go but not an option so don't really want to buy a full pack just to try it.
    https://www.peakperformancehunting.c...cts/hunt-smart

I normally just drink water in the bush, and smash a powerade from a servo on the way home - I always seem to be dehydrated after a day in the bush even when I try to drink a lot of water - considering this, or maybe just buying some powerade powder to carry.

I know there are guys that use it, tried it, didnt get anything from it, I use Thortz, less sugar for an electrolyte, I use a bladder and have it on had, when I had water in my bag I was not drinking enough, with bladder uts on tap.

I have seen a guy smashing hunt smart then complained he felt fatigued 2 hours later while tracking a wounded deer.....

Each to there own but i get nothing from it

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Shadowsol likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I used it , felt like it worked but over the same period that I started using it I got a lot fitter so hard to draw a conclusion there. I wondered if it just had a placebo effect really. The other thing I found was it had quite a serious diuretic effect on me
    stuart and Shadowsol like this.

I prefer the Thortz sachets, less sugar as Hamish said.
    HNTMAD and Shadowsol like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I make my own concoction using cordial such as lemon flavour, glucose powder (brewer's yeast) and a pinch of salt been using it for years for cycling, tramping well any hard exercise works well and is cheap

Yes I use it . Find it good before a heavy walk out

i have been using an endurance formular called PURE sports nutrition i got from Torpedo7, similar to Huntsmart i guess. Its a protein, carbohydrates & electrolyte mix, found it good on long tramps where you are pushing the limits of your fitness. I was getting bad cramps in the ole legs which is probably a combination of dehydration , lack of fitness and strenuous exercise, found this stuff good for energy and recovery for the next day

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    Hey team,

is anyone using Hunt Smart from Peak Performance? If so how do you find it? I wanted to buy a couple of single serve sachets to give it a go but not an option so don't really want to buy a full pack just to try it.
    https://www.peakperformancehunting.c...cts/hunt-smart

I normally just drink water in the bush, and smash a powerade from a servo on the way home - I always seem to be dehydrated after a day in the bush even when I try to drink a lot of water - considering this, or maybe just buying some powerade powder to carry.
    If you are getting dehydrated, something that makes a big difference is to drink plenty when first out of bed - like a litre or more. We get dehydrated when we sleep 7 - 8 hrs with no drinks but still respiring. It is easy to drink plenty of warm water when first out of bed. If you start the day of dehydrated how do you catch up once exercising hard ? Good for your kidney health too.
    Ned likes this.

Yip I always have a glass water as soon as I get up, also when I tried huntsmart it stained the hell out of my platypus bladder??
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Have thought about giving it ago. It probably works well but i’m not gonna lie some of the ridiculous social media and youtube brand pushing put me off. Not from Tom or Jess themselves but others trying to get a leg in on free stuff and build there own following by leveraging off the product. Any issues i’ve ever experienced have been due to my own fitness levels or overall lack of hydration so spending the price tag asked for it never appealed to me.
    outdoorlad, stuart, HNTMAD and 2 others like this.

a mountaineer I used to know used to take speed as a back up on all of their trips just in case they got into troubles and needed to climb and be of the go for many hours. Could be worth a try
    Huk likes this.

The following is from an old guy I used to know, he's passed now, but I believe it addresses dehydration in the bush.

He was scrub clearing back in the day, camped up on the hills, work all day, eat, sleep, work all day.

After a week he was getting crook. So he hiked into the nearby village and got some salt, thinking he'd take a couple of cups of very salty water, to flush his system out and start again.

He was fine after 30 minutes, it was not just a lack of water, but salt as well, from the sweating, of a week.

So in essence, dehydration is lack of water and salt.

All the glucose, potassium, etc etc, is icing on the cake and helpful, but not key, for the basic issue.

Whenever I'm camping or boating I use a little more salt in my meals, than usual.

___

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    The following is from an old guy I used to know, he's passed now, but I believe it addresses dehydration in the bush.

He was scrub clearing back in the day, camped up on the hills, work all day, eat, sleep, work all day.

After a week he was getting crook. So he hiked into the nearby village and got some salt, thinking he'd take a couple of cups of very salty water, to flush his system out and start again.

He was fine after 30 minutes, it was not just a lack of water, but salt as well, from the sweating, of a week.

So in essence, dehydration is lack of water and salt.

All the glucose, potassium, etc etc, is icing on the cake and helpful, but not key, for the basic issue.

Whenever I'm camping or boating I use a little more salt in my meals, than usual.

___
    That is why my home-made concoction has salt in it as well

At home I use himalayan salt, creatine and lemon juice mixed with water in the morning to rehydrate. Tastes like crap but works.

On the hill I use saltstick pills, usually the chewables. You can pop one every so often and it means you don't have to mix it into your water (good if you are using it for dehydrated meals etc too).

yea i use it occasionally, i sorta reckon it gives more endurance but i wouldnt rely on it or use it all the time, think of it as a pre workout without the intensity