Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: hunting clothing

hunting clothing

i'm currently doing my hunts course and looking at jackets pants and the likes for heading into the bush, i've got a swan dri i wear at work all the time but the guys say it will get to heavy in the rain and there not water proof which is true, so been looking at whats the best bang for buck as i've got alot of gear to buy and gotta spend me cash wisely, anyhow would this be any good or not ? New USGI Gen III Level 6 ACU Goretex Cold Weather Pant Jacket Medium Regular | eBay

One the back of the new hunting and fish catalog the is a good looking practical raincoat. Well worth a look, and good price. No need to spend six hundred dollars on a jacket.

Your swanie will do just fine for hunting...probably more deer shot by swan dri wearing hunters than all other clothing combined...wearing thermals under your swanie will wick away moisture.
    veitnamcam, Dougie and Aly like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Hey mate I've always gotten by with the good old top to toe pack and some shorts from the warehouse, cheap thermals from Kathmandu.

Up until very recently I have only had a ridgeline hunting jacket I got on the cheap. It was okay. Then came along this bloody life changer. Same price but comparable to a Swazi or other $600-$700 jackets..

Seriously dude check out bushbuck stuff, I've been over the moon with my jacket and every product of theirs so far has been wicked. It's only available online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

It's good and long, doesn't absorb water, seam sealed, completely wind proof, wicked pockets, comfy as and looks shit hot too.

I've barely taken it off since I got it.

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Keep your core warm and dry the rest will look after itself 90% of the time,merino thermal a layer or two of polar fleece and a wind/water proof outer will see you right for all but the silliest of winter alpine adventures.
    Nothing wrong with the swannie to get you started but yes they do get heavy when wet.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

hey thanks dougie yeah i was watching one on trade me but wasn't sure if i should buy it as so many different jackets out there its over whelming! that's a big help to know that's a good jacket! thanks heaps and i'll look into it!

I used to be impressed with artificial layers, but as time goes by I find wool is where it's at for a lot of stuff, I now go for icebreaker as an under and swandri bush shirt as an overwear, remember wool retains 80% of its warmth even when wet.
    Down packs down to next to nothing, but needs to be kept dry and oil free, vortex stuff is good, I have an alpine jacket that is amazing, but I do not want to get it dirty or the core may get clogged, plus the swani does not make much noise when stalking whereas my goretex does, hard to find an item they does all the things all the time, start with tried and tested then start experimenting...
    Dougie likes this.

I need a promotion before I can afford all merino lol, I'd recommend investing in a few pairs of wool socks and merino undies though.

I'm sure like everyone I've started with cheap and nasty and selectively upgraded item by item as I've been able to afford it and passed on my old stuff to newbies and usually end up being kids or just midgets

Hopefully not the socks and undies Dougie !

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Dougie and Awaian like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cool thanks shelley I love my Swani on site keeps you toasty and you don't get got when working in it like synthetics I've noticed as it breaths so dead keen to run it in the bush if I don't have to spend cash can put it into a good gps

if youre starting out why not lookup kiwi disposals and invest in some surplus military gear.fair enough it aint always the latest sub artic shits&giggles but you can bet ya left testicle shes been given a thorough workout.
    PS dougie -youre worrying me a little -theres more than a hint of boadicea in the wee selfie with the policeman chook!
    cracker photo of you &dog sitting on the rock .

Banned
    Bro you have to spend shitloads on clothing to even come close to a deer in the bush........its been proven in the internet bush mate:p.

bloody shit phone
    Happy likes this.

I just have a short sleeve merino and a long sleeve which covers all seasons either on their own or layered. I have a draw full of polyprops that I don't wear..

And there's no need for flash harry super silent raincoat because like fuck a deer can hear the jacket rustling over the pouring rain anyway. I've got one but use it only for bush bashing because I'd hate to put holes in my gore tex coat for when you really need it!
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Personally I still like the old polyprop. After 5 days in the hills I never have to queue up at the hot pools.

Sniff, sniff, (from in front of me) "Here, you go ahead of me, ..." Continue process to the front of the line.
    Scouser likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!