Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Hunting and Fishing cyclone technical jacket

Hunting and Fishing cyclone technical jacket

I was just wanting to know what people thought of the hunting and fishing cyclone technical jacket is it any good or a heap of shit.

Idk but I have a stoney creek jacket thats kept me and my phone in the zip up pocket dry and I've been in some wet weather. like really really wet. 3 hours sitting in a bush waiting for some geese to swim to me in a pissing down storm wet or driving around a farm in the rain looking for deer wet and me and my phone have always come out fine. And it seems though hasn't ripped or anything yet gets used a shit load through the winter and it's not too heavy yet it still pretty warm.

But it's a hunting jacket so don't get it cause hunting gears shit....

Pretty sure I have this jacket, but would have to check. Not seam sealed eh Tobes? Good for the money (I bought mine for $90 on sale) I guess! Waterproof zips crapped out pretty early on but I have it as a jacket to biff in if someone else forgot theres or whatever. Pretty heavy so mainly used it for walking the dog.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

You have the stoney creek jacket I have or you have the hunting and fishing one?

I had a H&F one. First time out in substantial rain it was water logged and I had a mind to leave it on the hill. Still got it in the waredrobe for the same reasons as Dougie. Although I could whip them up a better one out of a trash bag

Buy once cry once.
    They are ok on a cool day as an extra layer. Good for spotlighting possums on a fine night. Not waterproof but will carry water back to camp if you fall in the stream.
    Also good to wear around camp at night so you don't carry the campfire smell with you when hunting in a quality jacket
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Buy once cry once.
    They are ok on a cool day as an extra layer. Good for spotlighting possums on a fine night. Not waterproof but will carry water back to camp if you fall in the stream.
    Also good to wear around camp at night so you don't carry the campfire smell with you when hunting in a quality jacket

I have a ridgeline something or other, it has been everywhere for the last four years or so and the seam seal tape is coming off the inside but otherwise fine.
    like all my gear it does not get babyed and is about stuffed now.
    It lives either in my truck or thrown at the front door so it is always there when I need it, used as dog bed,soaked with salt water fishing etc etc etc
    I doubt a 400-1000 dollar jacket would be fairing much better by now with the abuse it has had.
    Quiet enough in bush, wets out around wrists now due to so much use, holds a little water in the fleece but fuck all...harden the fuck up! any of you whining about water retention should try and find a woollen swanny(that was the pinnacle of outdoor wear design and still holds its own today) and wear that all day in the pissing rain, or a old military rain coat, any exercise in one of those and you are wetter inside than out!

You do not need to spend high hundreds of dollars on each item of clothing to be a safe effective hunter, more over you will probably be looked at as a wannabe by the guy carrying out a animal in cheap effective probably non camo gear.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have a ridgeline something or other, it has been everywhere for the last four years or so and the seam seal tape is coming off the inside but otherwise fine.
    like all my gear it does not get babyed and is about stuffed now.
    It lives either in my truck or thrown at the front door so it is always there when I need it, used as dog bed,soaked with salt water fishing etc etc etc
    I doubt a 400-1000 dollar jacket would be fairing much better by now with the abuse it has had.
    Quiet enough in bush, wets out around wrists now due to so much use, holds a little water in the fleece but fuck all...harden the fuck up! any of you whining about water retention should try and find a woollen swanny(that was the pinnacle of outdoor wear design and still holds its own today) and wear that all day in the pissing rain, or a old military rain coat, any exercise in one of those and you are wetter inside than out!

You do not need to spend high hundreds of dollars on each item of clothing to be a safe effective hunter, more over you will probably be looked at as a wannabe by the guy carrying out a animal in cheap effective probably non camo gear.

Ha ha ha, tell us how you really feel, no don't hold back now........................really, I mean it

I have a "wanabe" Jacket (90%Sitka) which has been given death (and its camo too) and proved to be totally worth what it cost BUT my waterproof / windproof jacket is a Stoney Creek "Stowit" been carted / worn all over the show in not nice conditions and after 4 years (like VC's) is about rooted but for what it cost I will be replacing it with another.

It rolls up small so you are more inclined to carry it, not worth a fortune so you don't feel you need to baby it and best of all its not cammo so maybe I'm not a "wannabe"

Like everything you get what you pay for I guess, for me since it is a Hunting and Fishing jobbie I would not be buying one as most on here know my opinion of them but for you might do what you want of it eh
    Dougie likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I mean this in the nicest possible way Mikee "how much bush lawyer has that Sitka pushed threw?"
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I mean this in the nicest possible way Mikee "how much bush lawyer has that Sitka pushed threw?"
    A lot less than I would like but working on it, I prefer to let someone else find that stuff first
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    A lot less than I would like but working on it, I prefer to let someone else find that stuff first
    I got tangled up in it last time out pushing through scrub, was quite a job getting untangled with most my skin still attached