Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Hunting Vests

Hunting Vests

Recently @Husky1600 (I think) posted up a for sale of a Hunting Vest that "replaced" a daypack . . . https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ng-vest-55823/

I wondered how it went and what were the pros and cons . . and what would be done differently next time . . . . as I'm going to have a go at making one (well actually convincing my wife to do the construction, after she has made another 47 quilts and finished the new flags for our local range !!)

Any thoughts or experience's folk would care to share ??

Ive got a polarfleece one...it doesnt replace my daybag.....or my bum bag but keeps me warm.
    double layer of fleece...one side plain olive green with black pockets...very deep with small opening so shit doesnt fall out...big poachers pouch on rear,VERY handy,can fit 4-5 bunnies or ducks in there,2 canadas is a squeeze.
    other side/reverse side is a blaze orange camo pattern,one of the early ones where they replaced the tan in std dpm with orange. again two deep pockets.

For a walk along river or such like for small game ideal.... but daybag is the shit for bigger game.
    I have a pikau for daybag...basically a double sized pillow case,8 foot of seatbelt is the strapping ,tied at each corner too a tennis ball. larks head knot to close.
    Ive got one of those 5 pocket bumbags,it lives inside the daybag most of the time but comes out and goes around waist when needed or the daybag full of meat.

cons of a vest with everything in it.....cant take it off if its too hot.
    blood WILL definately get through everything.
    if its anything like my fishing vest....now which friggin pocket is that thinggymabobby in ..... heck I have enough trouble with 5 pocket bumbag LOL.

@Kiwi-Hunter asked why . .

I don't usually wear a knife belt these days and with a day pack I always seem to be rummaging through it as the thing I want is at the bottom. I've also tried bum bags in the past but didn't like them much either . . . .

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I like mine (the one in the link) I still wear a belt with some gear on it as well
    But for small game hunting it’s all I take

I have seen vests, used quite a bit, for upland bird shooting, so this may be a good place, to look for ideas, I've used my skeet shooting vest, in the field for birds, The only comment, I can make is keep in clean, and with no bits/pockets, that stick out,
    fly fishing vests, snag in tight cover quite a bit, especially with vines, black berry.

I have an SADF83 pattern battle jacket that I've re sprayed green and chopped about a bit.

I like it because it has gear distributed right around my upper half, so the weight of it isnt all concentrated on the back.

I also like it because the straps are thin enough that I can shoulder a rifle solidly, without having to push the thing hard into my shoulder to overcome the thickness of the typical foam straps.

At the back it has mesh vents that run vertically across both kidneys, and a narrow area for gear storage that lets my back breathe and not get too sweaty.

I haven't figured out how I'll carry venison in the thing yet, maybe stick a couple of pillowcases in a side pocket.

Name:  ba4d3648fd9cb395a9948bc9011c2d9f.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  59.8 KB
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Nice work @Max Headroom - not sure how many magazines you'll need so maybe all that other kit should fit as well.

Learning I had was with this Monster...
    https://www.badlandsgear.com/collect...oducts/monster

Was that the game bags to go in the side that you lie on in prone position... Couple a times because it was easy zipped pockets had either 2 way radio's or GPS in that side - bloody uncomfy.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Nice work @Max Headroom - not sure how many magazines you'll need so maybe all that other kit should fit as well.

Learning I had was with this Monster...
    https://www.badlandsgear.com/collect...oducts/monster

Was that the game bags to go in the side that you lie on in prone position... Couple a times because it was easy zipped pockets had either 2 way radio's or GPS in that side - bloody uncomfy.
    I took all the mag dividers in the pouches out so I could fit thinks like drink bottles, beanies, GPS etc.

So far my use has been in the bush, so far more likely to be a standing/ kneeling/sitting shot. You do make a good point about shooting prone though.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Banned
    Put this up in a previous post, but honestly there is nothing better. Game Gear Pikau stitched to a multi pocket BumBag.Name:  IMG_2182.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  1.01 MB[ATTACH]] Carries / sits really well on your back, no noise bush stalking, doesn't get caught climbing or sidehilling, doesn't get in the way for prone shot be cause bumbag faces to rear. Will fit sleeping gear, food, jacket etc in pikau with compass, range finder, carry cape, cord & tape, fire starting, hat, etc etc in the pockets. Clips to your mates one while you carry out the deer or set of hind quarters.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Moa Hunter...thats not silly at all.my bumbag has a strap pinched of a gear bag from the loop in middle over my shoulder and down to beside one buckle...stops it dropping down onto thighs when climbing.....