Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Hut lighting ideas

Hut lighting ideas

What are people using to light huts. I get sick of wearing a head torch or being blinded by someone else's.
    I have just been shining my mt14 at the roof and works ok but interested in what others have used. Led flood it strip light. Ideally be light enough to carry in

Loominoodle is the way to go for sure

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    DemocKot likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

At the smallest and lightest end of the spectrum you can just get a diffuser to stick on the front of your headlamp or torch to spread the light around.

What I have that I quite like is a lightbulb-shaped 18650 powered torch with a hook and a small magnet on the back, that is designed to hang in a tent or hut, or can be stuck to some metal in a hut. Designed to spread a nice even light around the room rather than casting a spot. Can be found fairly cheap off aliexpress or trademe.
    Shearer, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Take some white paint with you and paint the roof/ceiling. Will reflect plenty of light. And will make people wonder why there is a patch of white paint in the center of the roof.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Loominoodle is the way to go for sure

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    +1 I even stick mine inside our Christmas tree for effect.
    https://solar-panels.nz/products/pow...nt=18329114627
    Jono91 likes this.

+2 for the Luminoodle, powered from a power bank or an 18650 Nitecore charger.
    I also use Led bulbs that plug into the USB on a power bank or the Nitecore.

I would consider this too
    https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...mini-usb-light

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Nitecore LR50 will do nicely and doubles as a power bank from the 2 18650's if you need it.
    They also do the LA30 which has a rechargeable battery, magnet plus hook etc and the ability to run off 2xAA batteries if you run out of juice.

Unfortunately there is no stock of either
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Cheap little rechargeable led lightbulb from Aliexpress. Really lightweight, really cheap, good amount of light and lasts a good few hours. Can recharge them by solar panel or a tiny bit of power out of a power bank. Just an on and off, no multiple modes to switch through and good in a tent as well
    erniec, Shearer and Moa Hunter like this.

those blown up solar lamps are ok depends how much light you want.
    I have a 800mm long led strip light set up with battery and solar in my own hut and its very good.
    Moa Hunter and Russian 22. like this.

This is where the forum is bloody good. Massive knowledge base and experience it there. That luminoodle looks bloody good. Anyone know where to get it. That solar shop looks to be sold out.
    bumblefoot and Jono91 like this.

As you are asking about lights suitable for carrying in here is what l have used & liked over the years guiding/own use,l ended up going for solar rechargeable for most, preferring to use the old buy once philosophy rather than buying battery for short trips & needing something rechargeable for longer trips.

My wife & l also have a fair bit of experience using solar for lighting as over my time working as a guide/exploring, in the remote Top End of Oz ,we spent years using solar lighting rather than having a noisy generator going while using the Mitzi Canter twin cab, 4x4 truck l built as a camper for us to be based out of.

I have just linked the Oz sites we brought these off so have a search for the NZ suppliers or just get them mailed over,(back when we did it solar was specialized/limited in availability, now most good hardware/camping/4x4/boating stores have offerings),l have got sick of dealing with numbnuts here so if a supplier starts shaking their heads or rolling their eyes when asked about availability of items you know are commonly available OS, l just order from OS .

Have found these really good for in our huts/extended fly in camps & rafting trips here in NZ as well as being light /small enough to pack in all are solar chargeable & some offer to be able to be used as a power banks-

https://www.wubenlight.com/products/...bank-functions

https://sunnybunny.com.au/solar-ligh...d-lantern.html

This is very good for light weight hunting giving about 45 hrs of full power & rechargeable -

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/produc...33410307096675

Just as a bit of info that may be of interest ,these are excellent for long term base base camp lighting our hunting group has been hunting together for 14 yrs & do multiple extended hunts each year to spots like Fiordland /Stewy & fly in 7-14 day base camp for Tahr etc we have used the old version for years in our buried poly pipe stash kits ,meaning all we do is fly in with solar rechargeable kit,provides light for over 200 hrs on low setting.We use those roll able solar recharge mats staked out so not wind affected during the day while we are out hunting ,means virtually unlimited light & if someone is coming in late through bad weather a good light source to spot camp from a long way off,also good for fishing off the beach or spotting Kiwis running amok on the beach at Stewy,prepping skins,boning out etc while stew cooks at camp .

https://www.dorcy.com.au/product-pag...cusing-lantern

From my experience what you are best of looking for options for really light weight rugged options are LED lights used for cycling ,like the Bio light above & their other offerings ,these are waterproof ,light weight & usually have long battery life & multiple light options.All the lights l have chosen are easily stored in those waterproof camera cases for carry in rafts or wet weather & have got years of service out of them .

Of course something l would never be guilty of doing but l have heard rumors of some bastards of husbands surprising their lovely wife with a flash new set of solar garden lights ,earning many go hunting brownie points & a couple said lights mysteriously disappearing while said good husband went hunting, only to reappear when he returns ,apparently the heads of those solar lights can be detached from the stakes & perform very well when hung up with a bit of Para cord ,not that l would know .
    Last edited by bunji; 21-02-2021 at 07:27 PM.

the lantern look alikes from warehouse arent bad...and run on AAs.... cant really beat a wee LPG screw on lantern...mine is smaller than a std arcoroc mug and lights up small room well,it will also provide a wee bit of heat,it works great in out pop top camper.....will look at these luminoodle things...

I use a Nitecore LR30 https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/lr30
    It runs off one 18650 battery and lights up a
    Hut really well. I have a 18650 headlamp as well so have compatible batteries.

Anyone heard of a candle standing up in an empty tin can?
    living on this new planet cracks me up at times
    Maca49, Woody, chainsaw and 5 others like this.

Tilley lamp?......what's that?
    XR500 likes this.