Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stocky
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Hyperlight Mountain Gear Ultamid 2

Hyperlight Mountain Gear Ultamid 2

Hey there

Has anyone got/used one of these? It's an insanely light, and from what I hear very roomy, single wall DCF pyramid tent. Weighs 530 g. Costs... a lot. But could be the one tent to do it all. It's supposed to be very good in high winds, and has all the benefits of DCF. Any experience out there?

cheers
    Will

Think you will find that weight is without the inner tent or groundsheet. The full inner weighs note than the outer. And the half weigh about the same brings it nearer to 1.1kgs all ready.

Yep that is correct, but with a groundsheet only, say polycro, it's still pretty close to 600 I guess. You do have to have trekking poles to hold it up, unless you can hang it from a tree, though.

Not much of a do it all with out the inner. I'd go a MLD duomid over the HMG.
    WillB likes this.

Have a look at locus gear as well. Top notch stuff made in Japan.

I use a mid style tent but in sil nylon. Great option. I dont even use a ground sheet just a borah gear bivy bag.

Started using trecking poles after a couple of knee injuries and find them bloody awesome, wouldnt be without them in the alpine now, and just use a stick or tree if using the shelter in the bush
    WillB likes this.

Cheers mate, I have actually been looking at Locus Gear - very nice indeed, and the MLD mids also look good @Stocky . I have an MSR E bivy which weighs about 250 g so I was thinking same as what you are doing. Quite a few options. The Ultamid seems to be the roomiest. If careful with ventilation should be ok to cook inside, bring all the gear in, etc. How do you with getting in and out when it's raining? Do you have any tips there? Ultamid is available in NZ from packraftingnz - and the price is reasonable compared to what it would cost to bring it in from the States. What tent are you using @Nick-D ?

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Cheers mate, I have actually been looking at Locus Gear - very nice indeed, and the MLD mids also look good @Stocky . I have an MSR E bivy which weighs about 250 g so I was thinking same as what you are doing. Quite a few options. The Ultamid seems to be the roomiest. If careful with ventilation should be ok to cook inside, bring all the gear in, etc. How do you with getting in and out when it's raining? Do you have any tips there? Ultamid is available in NZ from packraftingnz - and the price is reasonable compared to what it would cost to bring it in from the States. What tent are you using @Nick-D ?
    Smd Deschutes mate so a bit smaller but very light. Sweet to get in and out in the rain as the opening is to the peak and the living space is all in the back half. So all your gear etc stays dry.

I've cooked in mine just make sure it's open and ventilating.

Only real downside to them is they do condensate pretty good in wet areas

The full system weight with biv, quilt, pad, and tent is like 1.4 kg, while still being pretty comfy.
    WillB likes this.

That's pretty cool. There are so many options my head is spinning.