Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By stug

Thread: iHikeGPS-NZ vs. Topo GPS apps

MB

iHikeGPS-NZ vs. Topo GPS apps

I've been testing both of these apps on iPhone 7 for a while in a variety of conditions including thick bush. They are both spot on in terms of GPS location and mapping, but the interface on iHikeGPS-NZ is much better. Also, the way maps are downloaded on Topo GPS is haphazard and if you try to view a map that isn't downloaded, it gets buggy. Map downloads are more straightforward on iHikeGPS-NZ. The only way Topo GPS beats iHikeGPS-NZ is that you can flick through the downloaded map tiles quickly. On iHikeGPS-NZ, there is a lag while the tiles open up, but this isn't a significant problem. Thought someone might find this useful.
    Shearer likes this.

Cheers. Have replaced my GPS with phone so any advances are great. Have been using topo but will give iHike a shot.

I've got Topo50 on my iPhone. $6 and I have the whole of the South Island permanently on my phone. GPS is pretty good in the bush and narrow valleys.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I've got Topo50 on my iPhone. $6 and I have the whole of the South Island permanently on my phone. GPS is pretty good in the bush and narrow valleys.
    Found the same on my Huawei. Very fast to pinpoint your position to.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

LOC
    Yeah I've been using Topo50 too recently, last trip didn't even turn on the handheld gps. Super simple and all maps downloaded permanently

Have had a play around with iHike and it feels a lot more complicated than Topo50. It appears to have slightly better functions perhaps, but for the time being I'll keep using Topo50 for the speed and simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post

Yip using TOPO50 North Island on my iPhone. I was chucking the GPS in the pack 'incase' but have started leaving it at home. Iphone on airplane mode running topo50 lasts fricken ages, plenty for a day trip.
    Good maps, quick as location display and has doc overlays as a layer. Pretty sweet for $6

MB
    Damn, another one to try!

MB
    Satellite image overlay would be good, but I can't find an app that does this. Any thoughts? You can download Google Maps satellite image, but it's a bit fiddly and would be easier if it was all in the same app.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Satellite image overlay would be good, but I can't find an app that does this. Any thoughts? You can download Google Maps satellite image, but it's a bit fiddly and would be easier if it was all in the same app.
    Yip that would be the ducks nuts. Let us know if you find it

Gone but not forgotten
    I have New Zealand Maps on my tablet and it has aerial/satellite overlays, from several sources too. I have only ever used it for planning and reviewing trips so have no idea how it goes using it as a GPS in the bush.

NZ topo has satellite overlay. Just zoom in on the area you want to go on the wi fi at home before you head in.not sure if it's available for iPhone but definitely for Android. Fantastic app. Can even use it on my boat as a plotter.