Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By LOC
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By Jit

Thread: Inreach Exp Plus

Inreach Exp Plus

How good is the GPS and mapping in the latest flash harry Inreach plus (the top model)?

Comparable to the straight Garmin GPS?

Thanks

Sure hope they have upgraded it, have an older inreach and it has nothing at all except a line for your track, no map. Have had to carry old 62s on some trips as well as inreach. Have found the phone with topo app does a good job depending on your phones built in gps

LOC
    you mean GPS66i ?

Explorer Plus is the old model

I am playing with it right now. Garmin's newly released upgrade of the old 64st is called the GPSmap 66st. The 66i model is the exact same device with added inReach comms

now it is primarily a good gps unit with comms - as opposed to comms with a retarded gps
    tikka, GWH and chainsaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    you mean GPS66i ?

I am playing with it right now. Garmin's newly released upgrade of the old 64st is called the GPSmap 66st. The 66i model is the exact same device with added inReach comms

now it is primarily a good gps unit with comms - as opposed to comms with a retarded gps
    Sounds good. Available in NZ? Pricey I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Yep about $600 for GPS and $990 for GPS with inreach.
    Hoping they have a discount at the sika show.

LOC
    Yeah Gun City of all places had them on sale the other day. North of $900. The Explorer + is still $750ish I think

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    you mean GPS66i ?

Have read a few reviews. Sounds like it still needs a lot of sorting and de-bugging before its worth the money.

Thanks for the information and giving me the heads up on this model.
    LOC likes this.

GWH
    Was just talking about this with the lads on our trip over the weekend, if they can add the inreach sat comms to the GPS, surely they can add the inreach sat comms into the Rhino, that'd be a good bit of kit.

In saying that, i believe the Rhino batt doesnt last that long, so maybe having a seperate UHF and running the GPS66i may actually be better
    25 /08 IMP likes this.

Jit
    How good is the GPS and mapping in the latest flash harry Inreach plus (the top model)?

Comparable to the straight Garmin GPS?

Thanks
    Not very flash but usable.
    I always have my phone with Topo maps installed so it’s not an issue as the phone is used for photos and easier messages when connected to the inReach. Of course usually I have a paper map and compass back up.

Battery lasts well if you only switch on when you use it rather than on all day. I can get 4-5 days for mine with a bunch of messages each day both ways. If I need more I just take a battery pack to recharge it.

Mine is inReach + with maps etc.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Not very flash but usable.
    I always have my phone with Topo maps installed so it’s not an issue as the phone is used for photos and easier messages when connected to the inReach. Of course usually I have a paper map and compass back up.

Battery lasts well if you only switch on when you use it rather than on all day. I can get 4-5 days for mine with a bunch of messages each day both ways. If I need more I just take a battery pack to recharge it.

Mine is inReach + with maps etc.
    Oh and it sure does give peace of mind back at home. Meaning more hunting with Less worrying. Plus with each message a link is sent which shows them on google maps exactly where you are.
    Tahr and Danny like this.

I use inreach mini for comms with home and pilots + waypoints if needed, but typically couple this with iphone, topo app and charger pack back up.works good for week long trip if conservative use, & very light combo with camera on phone too... Never been a big fan of the garmin gps with maps as quality of maps seemed pour for weight & bulk, but have used them on occasion in fiordland.