Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 3 Post By stu#71
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Inreach Explorer

Inreach Explorer

Does anyone use one of these? I'm pretty interested in purchasing one to replace my aging SPOT device, the ability to send sms will be great. The reason why the explorer version interests me over the se version is that it states that it has navigation capabilities also, this could let me do away with my GPS and just carry the one unit. I want to know if the unit supports topo maps but can't seem to find much info online.
    RedMoose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Does anyone use one of these? I'm pretty interested in purchasing one to replace my aging SPOT device, the ability to send sms will be great. The reason why the explorer version interests me over the se version is that it states that it has navigation capabilities also, this could let me do away with my GPS and just carry the one unit. I want to know if the unit supports topo maps but can't seem to find much info online.
    I recently built a relationship with the fella who runs SpotNZ from here in chch and stocks these, both new and refurbished so can speak to him about them? He recommended we get one for the work I do with our kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    I recently built a relationship with the fella who runs SpotNZ from here in chch and stocks these, both new and refurbished so can speak to him about them? He recommended we get one for the work I do with our kids.

I'm beginning to worry about you and your relationships with blokes mate

Will text you

How soon do you need one, what do you need to know. We do inreach, theres one one my bench now which I have yet to have a tutu with
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Sounds like a marital aid to me.
    puku likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

@Stu71 has one on order from Tony at KiwiGPS.
    We had it on trial for a trip, and he used it on Civil Defence response to Kaikoura. A bit old interface like older Garmin GPS and T5 predictive text but very good for messaging home, getting weather and river levels.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    How soon do you need one, what do you need to know. We do inreach, theres one one my bench now which I have yet to have a tutu with
    If I could confirm that the unit can run topos I want one tomorrow Mikee haha. Big variance in prices between different retailers it seems...

Have a squiz in here http://forum.delorme.com/index.php?/...each-explorer/

Doesn't seem like it will run topos on the unit itself but will pair with a phone if a map is needed, can still run basic map with waypoints etc. I like it enough to want one I reckon. Best price I can find is $575, some are $800!

Hey Ryan
    Yeah I just bought one, the SE model. I've no need for the extra functions on the Explorer model as I have a separate gps. I think they are fantastic. Basic, but great.

The beauty of them is that you can send SMS text msgs or emails to another phone using the satellite network. Every text etc you send contains a clickable link so the receiver can use that to open a google earth type map to see where it was sent from. You can also drop markers so people can follow you. Also has a SOS function like a PLB.
    Other features like send me a weather forecast are cool too. You can even set up a "follow my trip" on Facebook if you're that way inclined lol

Like scottrods said I've had one on trial and ended up buying one as I do quite a bit of hunting solo and the ability to send a text back home to say "don't worry, rivers high. Will be a day late" etc is worth a million bucks.

Downsides? Well the input screen is very basic. Cursor to each letter of your msg and press select etc. but you can Bluetooth it to your phone instead and then the Unit just stays in your pack and you use your phone to send etc via a clever free app. It's not too bad to be honest. It needs a clear line of sight to sky to see the satellites so doesn't send under a tin roof but does work through a windscreen or in the top of your pack.

There's a one off cost for the unit and then a monthly subscription. The basic sub which I went for is $26 ish per month which buys you so many texts and pin drops etc, then you pay on top if you go over. Nice touch is that you can suspend your sub if you like say over winter when you may not use the unit (reduces the sub to $6USD per month)

Internal rechargeable battery via USB cable. I set it so that everything was draining batteries as hard as poss on a recent trip and got a weekend out of the battery (dropping markers every 10 mins continuously)

Hope that helps , Stu
    PS Tony kiwigps is the man for these

PPS the funny dots on the screen on my photo are just my camera, you don't see those on the unit
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stu#71; 22-12-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Oh another thing. Don't bother looking offshore for a cheaper internet buy. Cos when you get it and set it up here in NZ they charge you a setup fee to register it here and guess what, it's the same as the discount you get by buying offshore!

if you want some info on cost and plans I can find out ??
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

That would be great thanks Mikee, got my head around the plans for the most part but keen on prices on the units

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    That would be great thanks Mikee, got my head around the plans for the most part but keen on prices on the units
    Will do, Will PM them We won't be the cheapest I'm thinking but be do look after our clients
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.