Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Stocky
  • 2 Post By Stocky
  • 2 Post By foxhound
  • 2 Post By faregame
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Stocky
  • 3 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Ned

Thread: KAWEKA Meals

KAWEKA Meals

Are these still available and from where, Have freeze drys but also like the kaweka meals. Or an alternative?

Go natives are your alternative. Think Kaweka went bust a while ago.
    hotsoup likes this.

There are some quite good vegetarian options around, I stumbled across some in countdown ashburton last month, good if you don't mind a curry. Just drop the pouch in hot water and wait a bit. Energy wise they were better than the back country stuff I took per serve .
    I've gone off dehi as I don't believe it offers any real advantage, yes it's light but you have to carry extra water and I find the texture no matter how long it's left to rehydrate "interesting". About the only dehi I take now is magic peas they are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    There are some quite good vegetarian options around, I stumbled across some in countdown ashburton last month, good if you don't mind a curry. Just drop the pouch in hot water and wait a bit. Energy wise they were better than the back country stuff I took per serve .
    I've gone off dehi as I don't believe it offers any real advantage, yes it's light but you have to carry extra water and I find the texture no matter how long it's left to rehydrate "interesting". About the only dehi I take now is magic peas they are brilliant.
    BC serves are a joke though IIRK you need 5 per day just to meet the average males maintenance calories(without exercise). The BC are also terrible as they require a tonne of water have heaps of salt and are full of preservatives etc (to be honest Id bet the super market ones are too). For dehy I use radix meals which are definitely lighter and single serves on the expedition ones have more calories than the 2 serve backcountries.

Perks of the radixs are 800 plus calories in a serve, 60%+ more calories for the same weight including extra carried water, and if you read the ingredients list it could be a recipe no preservative 123 or acidity regulator 456 etc. It obviously depends where you hunt too I'm always doing solo alps trips fly camping so i find weight a pretty important factor as well as only having to carry minimal water. if i hunt in the bush in mellow country i usually just grab the Wattie's pastas in the foil as its dirt cheap and tasty and on the flats i dont really notice any extra weight.
    Sika stag and hotsoup like this.

I like the absolute wilderness meals, will look into these others too, cheers
    hotsoup and Stocky like this.

Will give them a go found them at bivouac outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
    Will give them a go found them at bivouac outdoor
    Radixs? if you email and buy a box of them (10-20ish) usually they will give you a 15% code to use works out around $13 a dinner and less for breakfasts. i do this and have them stocked up.

After stocks comment I went and looked at the one bc meal I have left. FAARK 6 grams of salt.
    That's the recommended daily intake in one serving sweat and hard exercise may remove some from your body but when you add all the bits that hunters and trampers usually carry up eg (an OSM) has one gram of salt most people probably consume 2 to 4 teaspoonfuls a day without realising it.
    Probably ok in the short term but still worth considering.
    sore head stoat likes this.

+1 for Radix. Only had a few so far but found them very tasty and filling. All other brands I find a need to have something extra to fill me up. Will defintely be stocking up for the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    After stocks comment I went and looked at the one bc meal I have left. FAARK 6 grams of salt.
    That's the recommended daily intake in one serving sweat and hard exercise may remove some from your body but when you add all the bits that hunters and trampers usually carry up eg (an OSM) has one gram of salt most people probably consume 2 to 4 teaspoonfuls a day without realising it.
    Probably ok in the short term but still worth considering.
    Yeh I hit a wall around day three eating 4 serves of BC a day on trips. Whereas I seemly regularly do 5-7 days on 2 Radix a day sometimes without much extra except the odd muesli bar and coffee. Plus if you screw up and run out of gas you can do the breakfasts cold.
    Sika stag and Ned like this.

Another vote for Radix, I am a recent convert and will never be buying BC again.
    Sika stag, Stocky and Ned like this.

Have gone off BC late 2019. Been trying several different types within the small group I hunt with Radix came out well on top most times.
    Omeals had some advantages for a light over night as very little water needed, no need to carry other cutlery cookers or the such, but are a little heavier....much more a kaweka style thing.
    Otherwise Radix.....and ffs stay well away from those horrid smoothies.

Ned
    Try making your own?

I'm doing veni curry and veni casseroles in my dehydrator. The dehydrator is going to pay for itself very quickly. Do a big batch at a time. Weigh everything wet. Do rice and veggies on different trays. Then combine the dehy portions into meals bag up and vacuum and ready for long storage in freezer. Weigh dry weight to work out how much water to add. Write on each packet. Bit more homework and you can get a good guess on how many calories in each meal too

Biased obviously but the home made ones slay the commercial ones for flavour.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Boxton likes this.