Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Keeping cool

Keeping cool

What’s the go for those in the know on staying cooler this time of year?I have used stony creek air mesh in the past as it’s blaze orange but end up saturated with sweat,also have an under armour top but it’s
    Long sleeve and more of a winter weight,and really close fitting now thanks to COVID lockdowns,also use the mid weight mkm brand merino t shirt but end up wet as well,the under armour one is a honeycomb type of material that seems to take the moisture to the outside of the fabric well though where it evaporates quicker,I run pretty hot these days so tend to sweat a lot on the hill.any garments out there that work to keep you cooler and drier?cheers

Caretaker
    Airtec shirts from farmlands
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    What’s the go for those in the know on staying cooler this time of year?I have used stony creek air mesh in the past as it’s blaze orange but end up saturated with sweat,also have an under armour top but it’s
    Long sleeve and more of a winter weight,and really close fitting now thanks to COVID lockdowns,also use the mid weight mkm brand merino t shirt but end up wet as well,the under armour one is a honeycomb type of material that seems to take the moisture to the outside of the fabric well though where it evaporates quicker,I run pretty hot these days so tend to sweat a lot on the hill.any garments out there that work to keep you cooler and drier?cheers
    Yes
    I was MKM for 30 years
    No more

All my gear now is now this Ukraine made clothing

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/clothing

Which is my own site and imported by me
    I do specials and freebies (maybe some on this Forum will like to back this up ???

You mean the thermatech ones?all I could find on their website

The m tac gen 2 looks like what I’m after from you sarvo,does it come in long sleeve?my arms are pasty white.

The thermal shirts Placemakers were giving away a couple of years ago wick really well.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    The m tac gen 2 looks like what I’m after from you sarvo,does it come in long sleeve?my arms are pasty white.
    Yes
    Its amazing
    ut I could have your size in another that is even better
    For more heavy duty I mean
    Both are g8
    Trust me
    I guarantee all this stuff as I use myself
    paremata likes this.

I wear lightweight polyester/spandex or cotton/spandex blend that a lot of companies have fancy names for like "hydrofreeze" , "coolmax", or "arctic cool". My huntech 'outback pants' also feel ok in hot weather.
    Loose fitting will also help with breathability and sweat evaporating faster.
    Ultimately the best way i keep cool is going slower and keeping to the cool areas in the gullies.
    Trouble with going shorts and top is that the sandflies feast on the exposed bits.

MB

Gone but not forgotten
    I have two tops I wear all year, I always run hot (though I never run!). One is a Hunters Element top, I think the model is Crux, the other is an Under Armour top I got cheap from H&F about 4 years ago. Both are long sleeved (I too have white arms), and are thin and light material, so are cool but don't really stay dry, especially under the daypack.
    At home I wear the Cooldri stuff from The Warehouse, it's pretty good but doesn't come in camo, some of the brighter coloured option would be a good alternative to blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Tempted. The long sleeves are necessary for protection from biting insects. Looks like there is a lot of stuff on sale.

I'll put a plug in for savro's light weight shirts, been using on of the these ones https://www.nzgrhunts.com/clothing/p...5l-ml4mf-atg79 and a long sleeve hoody, https://www.nzgrhunts.com/clothing/p...woodland-8gkjc - haven't managed to get them saturated with sweat yet despite some good climbs - the tshirt in particular is real good for hot days though with the mesh back not sure if it will give quite the same uv protection. Hasn't been a problem for me as usually wearing a pack anyway.

Bush hunt 99% of the time so sun protection not an issue.the shirts look good.

How thick is the hoody material?looks like what I’m after.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Tempted. The long sleeves are necessary for protection from biting insects. Looks like there is a lot of stuff on sale.
    I would recommend the product, especially at that price. Note that the material is different to other Huntech products, definitely cooler. Bought mine in 2015 and it's seen regular use. Always wear long sleeves for bug and sun protection.

EDIT: 2015 not 2020! Was going on when I last got my license renewed as got the shirt around the same time, then failed to do primary school maths. Also, I've got some of Sarvo's cold weather good and it's good.
    Last edited by MB; 02-12-2021 at 10:03 PM.