Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By erniec
  • 2 Post By RV1
  • 2 Post By ilikepie
  • 2 Post By 223nut

Thread: Klymit Insulated Double Mat

Klymit Insulated Double Mat

Have had this mat for awhile.
    I bought it off DROP for a reasonable price.
    The specs say it has a R value 4.4.
    Have shared it with the wife once and used it at the Bigbore Shoot last year in woolshed which isn't really a test.
    Anyway I was bored yesterday and with weather looking like getting a bit rough,2 grandchildren for the weekend i thought I would rig up my fly for a rough night.
    Set fly up pegged to ground back and both sides.
    Then thought the double mat will fit just right I can sprawl out and be in the lap of luxury.
    The bag I used was an Exped Waterbloc so wasn't concerned with getting a bit of moisture on it and should stay warm.
    Well the bag didn't get wet.
    But my hips got cold when lying on my side.
    I think what caused it is having room to spread our but fly tied right down the mat was edge to edge and I was in the middle of the double mat.
    On my back beauty.
    On either side shoulders ok.
    But when on my side hips got cold even though I had inflation bang on and comfort was sweet.
    I think because I slept in the middle the hips ended up in an under insulated piece or something.
    Has anybody else had the same experience because my luxury for one idea isn't so flash now.
    Temp wasn't that low wet day then cleared off during night maybe close to zero at grass level.
    Last edited by erniec; 12-09-2021 at 11:11 PM.

got one of these on the way, will give it a run and see. I'm guessing the join in the middle is less insulated than the V's so the cold creeps in. might be ok on the diagonal. the singles I have are too small / narrow across the shoulders so went with this one insted

Quote Originally Posted by ilikepie View Post
    got one of these on the way, will give it a run and see. I'm guessing the join in the middle is less insulated than the V's so the cold creeps in. might be ok on the diagonal. the singles I have are too small / narrow across the shoulders so went with this one insted
    That is my pick too.
    The mat is comfortable.
    Will use for one person summer only.
    It was just puzzling for me as normally shoulders and hips find the ground etc pretty much the same.
    I have a couple expeds I can use and still have original thermarest sim in use on camp stretcher.
    Do not get the cold on these.
    I am also dubious about the R of 4.4 might be a bit less.

I reckon lying on your side you are exposing more 'surface area' of your body to loose heat. I have noticed this on cold nights with the summer duvet on.

Lying on your back keeps your whole back insulated and you will warm up.
    Use enough gun

I agree that, the fetal position is the near death freezing experience.
    This was interesting and proves the good sleeping bag still needs the good mat/insulation underneath.
    I was only trying it out before next trip which is 3 to 4 nights and I would have had to use jackets etc if I had found out the hard way.
    Probably will not be using this mat just wanted to bullshit mates I was in the lap of luxury and easy flat walk in.
    Mind you last time I went a mat went flat and I couldn't find the leak spent 3 nights on the ground.
    Lesson in it keep mats away from your cat.
    Micky Duck likes this.

RV1
    I can't comment on the Klymit mats. I still use a really old Thermarest mat, and the insulation when laying on cold ground is not great. In the past I've used one of those closed cell foam rolls underneath, but these are quite bulky to carry for too long. Recently I've seen videos on youtube of long-distance thru-hikers in the US that use silver mylar coated foam pads under their mats to provide insulation. Some use those silver shade shields that we use in your car window - they're just large enough to provide insulation under an average adult-sized torso. Also a bit bulky perhaps, but since I can't justify upgrading my mat anytime soon, I'm going to be giving the shade shield a go on a 4 day trip into the hills in Oct.
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

one of the things you could potentially look at is the silver foil-lined underlay they use with floating floors as a sound dampener/moisture barrier. it has foil as well as a thin layer of foam. easy to roll up and weighs SFA
    40mm and RV1 like this.

One trick if using a foam mat, roll it so it just fits inside your pack and leave a big central hole to stick gear into. Works best with a round shaped pack! Or cut part way through and fold
    veitnamcam and RV1 like this.