Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Rees

Thread: Klymit Static V mat

Klymit Static V mat

hey any of you fellas use or previously used the STATIC V - regular- standard model from Klymit?

i asked here a while ago or fishhuntnz about matresses an got pointed in direction of the Exped 9, ive had that since and taken it to nz, worked awesome but was always big an bulky from the get to-
    i bit the bullet an got a klymit , half the weight an 1/4 the pack size lol... crazy improvement over pack space- but - the static V is only R rated 1.6 or so... read - very average V exped-

my worries are that i may feel the cold earth through the mat, i figure here is best to ask as NZ is colder for a longer period than is Aus- maybe you had a static V initially but upgraded later for a winter mat?

did you ever feel cold through the earth?

keen to hear anyway

Thanks all.

Rees,
    You need an R value of about 4 if you don’t want your mat to be a heat sink.

Clymitt do I believe make good pads. Sea to summit make good light weight insulated pads also. I use one of these when the exped is to big, bulky etc

R Values are a have. Stick a jacket under your mat if you really get cold
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I don't know about that tried the old lilo years ago no insulation whatever.
    Had to put swanny underneath or on top to reduce the shivering.
    Went to the first of the thermarest and haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    I don't know about that tried the old lilo years ago no insulation whatever.
    Had to put swanny underneath or on top to reduce the shivering.
    Went to the first of the thermarest and haven't looked back.
    hey ernie, what would the " r value" be on the therma you have , for curiosity sake.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    R Values are a have. Stick a jacket under your mat if you really get cold
    Yeah fair call and thats sort of what im lookin for in terms of people usin a couple different ones and noting if any noticable .....fuck that one was cold last night.... even though it middle of april..

a tip i was made aware of is using one of those windscreen covers under the mat if its winter, which folds up small enough to stash on the side of the pack an weighs bugger all, if i find this klymit not warm enuff.

my exped i need to pull apart an re glue the corners, but ya kknow they are never the same again
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Rees,
    You need an R value of about 4 if you don’t want your mat to be a heat sink.

Clymitt do I believe make good pads. Sea to summit make good light weight insulated pads also. I use one of these when the exped is to big, bulky etc
    is this for Winter conditions or?
    3 season ?

Klymit Static V mat

Rees, when your in a sleeping bag you compress the down beneath you. So it is here you loose your warm. If your pad is R4 or greater. Your heat transfer stops. If it is below 4 heat transfer continues to the pad and ground do you get colder. That is the heat sink.

It is the same winter or summer. In summer ambient temp is higher so less temp differential so the potential sink is less. Principal remains the same.

Don't know what the thermarest is now have 2 Expeds one LW 7 cm and a regular on that is 9cm the R values are on the websites both very comfortable and warm.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

I've got a klymit and it is comfortable but really for summer use. I used it on a canvas camp bed a month ago, sleeping in a woodshed and the cold was seeping up from under, I got bloody cold. Just upgraded to a thermarest with R value of 5. Used last weekend and all good. Stayed warm all night. Thermarest is a bit narrow in comparison. Check out Bushbuck website, they have an R5 on special at the moment. Full price still half of thermarest. Trust me to find one after just spending $$

Ernie,
    The old style thermarest mats were pretty cold compared to the good ones were can get now.

I still have mine and bought a Exped SIM and use them camping on fold out beds.
    But have to admit the newer ones I have are pretty good.