Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LOC

Thread: large tarp / fly for basecamp

LOC

large tarp / fly for basecamp

with the roar nearing i'm looking to upgrade the fly i've been using for the party to shelter under at basecamp. does anyone have any recommendations? looking for something 4m x 4m or larger

my current fly doesn't have any loops along the backbone that you can run a main rope line along - this would also be preferable for strength but not 100% necessary

also good suggestions for footprints / floor mats

look forward to any suggestions

Having spent in excess of 15 years on a sewing machine, you are much better to throw your tarp over a substantial rope, say 12mm maybe, than hang it from loops or expect the guy ropes to hold it. Even better if you can find a decent ridge pole, clean it up nicely and throw your tarp over that. In excess of 4 metres is a lot of strain on a piece of fabric. I use to make my big fly's with either a decent tape ridge line, or an extra layer of fabric along the ridge line to take a bit of wear. Find a good manufacturer/canvas guy and have one made. TwinNeedles may be worth talking to.

My suggestion for a ground sheet would be building wrap it's waterproof strong and not too heavy I have a footprint for my msr mutha hubba it only weighs 400 grams not super light but it cost me nothing from work so I'm not complaining

kereru?? tarps on t me, they look ok and do a big one.

new age building wrap for a ground sheet
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

LOC
    thanks guys
    good idea re modifying husky, however it sounds like a major cost for infrequent use
    i'll get in touch with a builder mate and check out the building wrap option, sounds like a good idea

that DD hammock could be the go, its the right size and i hadn't seen it before, cheers!
    Blue Arrow likes this.

Get some Tyvek builders wrap and make your own. Just wash it a few times with out spinning it to reduce the noise

I agree with @possum_shooter re Tyvek. Really strong and washing it makes it almost silent. I use one under my Nemo Meta 2. I've tried local type materials from the "big name" building suppliers and they don't do the biz'o. Tyvek is best. @ Blue Arrow I have a DD Tarp 3x2.9 SuperLight tarp and it is great! Gave them a call before I purchased it to see if they could supply a larger size but they couldn't as they are limited to the material bolt size and didn't want joins in them. Very light and compact

I have this

Mannagum XL Refuge Bay Shelter Fly 5.9 x 3.6 m | Trade Me

It's bloody awesome and can be pitched smaller that 5.9m long. It will provide shelter over three to four tents, helps with cooking and card playing.

@Fireflite
    yeah, I have the 3x3 (normal one). Haven't used it enough to give it a fair review but it seems well made.