Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Leather sheath for Svord DP

Leather sheath for Svord DP

Bought a Svord DP today, which looks like it's cutting edge 1750 or so. However, a knife design that's lasted a couple centuries can't be bad. A bit of fettling on the handle and it's looking and feeling not too bad.

The sheath is seriously... let's say, underwhelming?

Is there anyone out there who makes decent leather sheaths? The industrial black ones in the shop didn't catch my fancy.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

In Auckland I do not know, but in Blenheim, Brooks Brothers have always been very good to deal with. 2nd or 3rd generation Sadlers too. Learnt from their dad. Equestrain places can be a good place to start if looking for leather work, and there used to be one on here HGD(?) I think. @HGD

If you find a replacement, I could be keen on your old one.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    If you find a replacement, I could be keen on your old one.
    Cool.

Why do you like it (serious question, maybe i'm missing the point...)?

Yeah the ones that come with Svords are pretty ordinary. I get my own made as I am pretty fussy when it comes to sheafs. Pretty much wear mine everyday so gets a hard life. You soon work out where the weak points are and get alterations to suit. I use saddlers and in saying that not all saddlers are the same too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole
    I’m a big fan of Svord knives. I like the sheaths that come with the nicer knives (nice wood and brass on the handle, about $200) but the cheaper wood ones and plastic ones have crappy sheaths.
    I brought a Taurus sheath off trademe and soaked it in water then moulded it to my knife and it’s really mint. Good quality sheath. Lots of different shapes and sizes.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...2397620256.htm
    stevodog and norsk like this.

Yup, svord sheaths are shit. Something you have to consider when buying one. I had Drake Leather in Dunedin make me one for my Farmers Knife, its a great sheath.

The svord are not the only company making crap sheaths for great knife. My Benchmade fixed blade came with an awful sheath. Not good enough to put on my belt, I have to keep it in my pack.
    Last edited by Dama dama; 20-11-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    Bought a Svord DP today, which looks like it's cutting edge 1750 or so. However, a knife design that's lasted a couple centuries can't be bad. A bit of fettling on the handle and it's looking and feeling not too bad.

The sheath is seriously... let's say, underwhelming?

Is there anyone out there who makes decent leather sheaths? The industrial black ones in the shop didn't catch my fancy.

I can do you a kydex sheath for that, kydex is impervious to elements, blood, fur, petrol, mud etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I can do you a kydex sheath for that, kydex is impervious to elements, blood, fur, petrol, mud etc etc.
    Do you have a pic of one?

Name:  56932A77-C264-4510-91DC-BE5C9BD81A4B.jpeg
Views: 619
Size:  2.30 MB
    Here’s one I did recently for a dagger, there are two main variations pancake style like this, two pieces one on top of the other, or I can do taco style where one piece of kydex is folded.

Name:  DDFE9AD8-FBAF-4F86-BA39-BE8824D4B863.jpeg
Views: 685
Size:  2.35 MB

Like so, although this one has not been finished so is still a tad rough.
    Kiwi-Hunter and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Yup, svord sheaths are shit. Something you have to consider when buying one. I had Drake Leather in Dunedin make me one for my Farmers Knife, its a great sheath.
    + 1

I had a sheath made in Dunedin too and its bloody great. It's molded so there's nothing holding it in other than the way the leather is molded around it. You can hold it upside down and shake it, the knife doesn't fall out. Had the knife 29 years and the sheath for 24 years. Original sheath was shit.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    Cool.

Why do you like it (serious question, maybe i'm missing the point...)?
    I just need one for an old Brian Baker knife I got at auction, It wont be used much so just to protect the edge is all I want.
    Let me know if you replace you one and we can do a deal.

Cheers, 40
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I just need one for an old Brian Baker knife I got at auction, It wont be used much so just to protect the edge is all I want.
    Let me know if you replace you one and we can do a deal.

Cheers, 40
    If you are not going to use it much don’t put it in a sheath, just oil it, wrap it in newspaper and stick it in the sock drawer.
    40mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    If you are not going to use it much don’t put it in a sheath, just oil it, wrap it in newspaper and stick it in the sock drawer.
    Yeah, got that already from someone else years ago. Thanks though it is good advice. I still want something for when I do use it.
    Use enough gun

You want / need something like this made for your knife only, leather moulded to handle and a nice safe and secure deep carry.
    Name:  DSC_0019.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  1.91 MB
    hotsoup, 40mm, dannyb and 1 others like this.