Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By The bomb
  • 1 Post By Strummer
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By The bomb
  • 2 Post By Bagheera

Thread: Lightweight Footwear. Trail shoes for hunting - Report

Lightweight Footwear. Trail shoes for hunting - Report

The amount of weight on your feet has a huge effect on how tired you are after a few hours' walking.
    Lighter feet are nimbler and the chance of twisting your ankle or slipping is much less, too.

I got these heavy duty Keen shoes and did a couple of Great Walks in them. You see a lot of people wearing these around at the moment, at work, in camp, driving, at the range. They are great for protecting your feet on rocky tracks, with the big rubber and leather bit (rand) all around them. Grip is good in the mud and OK on wet rock. I walked several hours in snow and my feet were fine. Changed to dry socks in plastic bags at the bushline. You need some puttee thing to keep sand and gravel out. I got thicker insoles from a safety shop which were good for walking a lot of km.

Name:  Shoes Keen 800.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  572.5 KB

I've also used trail running shoes and recently changed up to these Mizuno ones that happen to fit my feet very well. They are a heavier model than my two previous ones, so you could go lighter if you wanted. Of course, they're not waterproof at all. They have a sort of sock like capsule inside the toe box that keeps your forefoot under control. Grip is good in mud and soft leaf litter and it's no problem not having a distinct heel step. I don't think they're worn in enough to report on performance on slippery wood. I used them to walk in to Cascade hut and out and they were just fine carrying a pack. Also nimble enough for bush stalking the sika deer.

Name:  Shoes Mizuno wave mujin 07 800.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  466.9 KB

I know you're tired of looking at old boots, so here's some venison to feast your eyes on. Sika backsteak aged 2 weeks.

Name:  Backsteak roll 600 px.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  353.1 KB

Here are my usual lightweight hunting boots, Scarpa Terra GTX.

Name:  Shoes Scarpa terra GTX 800.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  473.8 KB

Weights (pair):
    Scarpa Terra GTX with custom insoles 1335g
    Keen with Blundstone insoles 982g
    Mizuno Wave Mujin M07 827g

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a pair of Adidas Terrex trail running shoes, though I don’t run, ever.
    I haven’t tried them in the bush, but the grip on short grass is really impressive, way better than any other shoe or boot I’ve tried.

P.S: they are waterproof too
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Always used Salomon trail runners in summer and their higher boot for winter,looked at the keen ones the other day but they squeezed terribly in the store when I went for a wander while trying them on so that put me off,might still get a pair though as I have wide feet and they seem a good toe box for my feet.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Wonder what model Keen shoe they are?

I use the Salomon 4D GTX for a lighter option @ 1250g. Heavier leather boots when the situation requires it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Always used Salomon trail runners in summer and their higher boot for winter,looked at the keen ones the other day but they squeezed terribly in the store when I went for a wander while trying them on so that put me off,might still get a pair though as I have wide feet and they seem a good toe box for my feet.
    The box says Keen Targhee III WP. They're nice and wide and comfortable to wear all day. Perhaps you tried on the wrong size or last shape. Pretty sure I got them from Trek n Travel. I think they had to order mine in for me. I use medium socks not real thick ones - hold less water and dry out quicker.

ebf
    Been eyeing out the Innov8 Roclite boots for this exact purpose...
    Shearer likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

NRT
    I enjoy spring ,summer bush hunting in Five Fingers

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Sorry ment to say they squeeked terribly
    Bagheera likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    I enjoy spring ,summer bush hunting in Five Fingers
    Yes, I thought they would be good for dry bush stalking too, like in the Kaimanawas. So far I've hardly used them for hunting because I don't like the idea of carrying my regular boots / shoes around in the pikau. Also, they're not a good camp / hut shoe as they take so long to get on and off and aren't waterproof enough to go out for firewood or to wash a pot in the stream.

They do have fantastic grip and feel. You'll never sprain your ankle while wearing fiver fingers. But they'd be no good on sealed footpath - too hard underneath. I've used mine mostly for walking the Hakarimata steps and they're almost worn out now. Does anyone know where you can buy them in person or online ?

Name:  Shoes Five Fingers 800.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  483.6 KB
    Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Sorry ment to say they squeeked terribly
    It's usually full length boots that squeek and then only when they're new. Would be annoying though.

It sounded like the soles were doing the squeaking ,this was on polished concrete store floor though so might be different in the field.sounded like squash shoes !funny the guy in store selling them was a hunter and he said it had put him off getting a pair now although the fit was really nice for me due to the wide toe box,and the aggressive tread pattern looked handy for the type of bush hunting I do,might talk to him and see if I could return them if it was a problem in the bush once the lockup is eased.

The Keens are good for a wide foot and have reasonable arch support. I ear them daily as a outdoors shoes and for hunting (with boyangs/covers) outside of winter.

You need a lot more protection on your feet in Oz.
    Running shoes are pretty dodgy even on trails in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Yes, I thought they would be good for dry bush stalking too, like in the Kaimanawas. So far I've hardly used them for hunting because I don't like the idea of carrying my regular boots / shoes around in the pikau. Also, they're not a good camp / hut shoe as they take so long to get on and off and aren't waterproof enough to go out for firewood or to wash a pot in the stream.

They do have fantastic grip and feel. You'll never sprain your ankle while wearing fiver fingers. But they'd be no good on sealed footpath - too hard underneath. I've used mine mostly for walking the Hakarimata steps and they're almost worn out now. Does anyone know where you can buy them in person or online ?

Attachment 176901
    I use the same shoes and mainly use mine for bow hunting and camp shoes.
    Got them from EBay way cheaper than NZ prices.