Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to invest in a quality handheld torch that runs on 18650s.

What is everyone using? Looking at brands like Fenix, Nitecore, Armytek and Klarus. Mostly wondering about reputations and toughness of each of the brands? Likely be looking at torches that run on 18650s and have a max or boost of about 1000 lumens. Primarily getting it for SAR callouts/training but will mostly be using it as a general outdoors torch and chucking it in the truck in case I need it.
    Every day is leg day.

Nitecore is the best I've used. But I also have a 1000 lumen torch that cost $4 from aliexpress that has not let me down after 3 years.

Convoy C8. Small, crazy bright for its size, cheap, and different options available depending what you want it do with it.

Maxtoch all the way. Not all of the Maxtoch range are super powerfull long range torches, there are some that would fit the bill very well. The M24 is lighter than the 2S but both work very well. And while the 3rd link is 3000lm it is a flood light rather than a spot so is far wider in the beam and less focused. Ideal for searching....

SHOOTER 2S,Search Series

SNIPER M24,Discontinued

SHOOTER 2X Wide Angle Beam,New Products

I would say at a guess 80% of hunters on these forums own a Maxtoch or three

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiazonic View Post
    Nitecore is the best I've used. But I also have a 1000 lumen torch that cost $4 from aliexpress that has not let me down after 3 years.
    Yes, but don't forget, the Chinese have smaller lumens.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

If you were relying on it to function under extreme conditions, I would not be putting my money on a Chinese made torch. Look at Surefire etc for torches designed for the sort of mistreatment you will be giving it. I have a Barbolight which is built like a tank, and I know it will not fail (other than battery running low) when it is called on. Not sure they are available any longer tho.

For a throw in the truck torch - Convoy C8 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    If you were relying on it to function under extreme conditions, I would not be putting my money on a Chinese made torch. Look at Surefire etc for torches designed for the sort of mistreatment you will be giving it. I have a Barbolight which is built like a tank, and I know it will not fail (other than battery running low) when it is called on. Not sure they are available any longer tho.

For a throw in the truck torch - Convoy C8 all the way.
    Wouldn’t quite agree with the Chinese made bit although mine is a Hong Kong torch not mainland. Have had for several years a ThruNite Catapult V3 which I would class as a “tactical” torch. It has a front bezel you could shave on and a heft and strength that suggests you could whack (mmm should the need ever arise) an intruder over the head with it and it wouldn’t fall apart. Will run on two or a single 18650 without diminished brightness. And it is still competitive for throw against the latest offerings. My next torch though should I ever need to replace the V3 will be a Maxtoch and that is balancing cost versus performance.

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    I would say at a guess 80% of hunters on these forums own a Maxtoch or three
    Yeah three..... Soon to be two once I get round to putting it up here when I find all the bits.

+3 for maxtorch

+1 on maxtorch in larger format using 18650s. I use them for spotlighting etc. However for general walking around when deer stalking, camp and/or emergency I have changed from 18650 torches to the Led Lensor P7? Which uses 4x AAA and has the adjustable beam. Absolutely magic with easy to source and carry replacement batteries. Discovered on my last hunt carrying out meat after dark that a handheld light is way better than a head lamp when walking through the bush, but obviously the head lamp is way better when doing the butchering on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Wouldn’t quite agree with the Chinese made bit although mine is a Hong Kong torch not mainland. Have had for several years a ThruNite Catapult V3 which I would class as a “tactical” torch. It has a front bezel you could shave on and a heft and strength that suggests you could whack (mmm should the need ever arise) an intruder over the head with it and it wouldn’t fall apart. Will run on two or a single 18650 without diminished brightness. And it is still competitive for throw against the latest offerings. My next torch though should I ever need to replace the V3 will be a Maxtoch and that is balancing cost versus performance.
    My understanding of LED tech is that the more batteries, the longer the run time with no change in brightness / performance. I have a couple of cheaper ones that came in a 1 and a 2 battery format and both are exactly as bright as the other, but one lasts much longer between charges. (No prizes for guessing which one....) It's something to do withthe way the LED circuit controls voltage / amperage flowing through the LED.

Mudgripz and Gadgetman would have to be the two torch Guru's here to answer your question...

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    My understanding of LED tech is that the more batteries, the longer the run time with no change in brightness / performance. I have a couple of cheaper ones that came in a 1 and a 2 battery format and both are exactly as bright as the other, but one lasts much longer between charges. (No prizes for guessing which one....) It's something to do withthe way the LED circuit controls voltage / amperage flowing through the LED.

Mudgripz and Gadgetman would have to be the two torch Guru's here to answer your question...
    I brought a convoy c8 thinking it would be the same as the maxtoch because it used the exact same led but have a shorter runtime. Not true. The c8 has a different driver board in it and the single battery can't provide enough juice to drive the led as hard as in the maxtoch. On the same theory I brought a one cell body for the maxtoch. Not idea why they sell that useless piece of aluminum because one 18650 isn't enough to make the torch work.

C8 is still a good general purpose torch if you want something thats lighter and cheaper than a maxtoch.

I have a number of Fenix torches none of them have let me down. They have a huge range from small like the one my wife has with her at all times in her hand bag up to monsters that take 8 batteries. I would look in the TK series nearly all of them take the 18650 batteries for general carry I would suggest depending on the switch configuration you like look at around the TK 16-20 size.

I like my dereelight an earlier version of this had it for 8 years or so hard to fault

Just checked and the one in my pocket is a Fenix, have another somewhere. Smaller than the maxtorch and much easier to get in your pocket, guess it depends on what you plan on using it for