Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Looking for a new pack

Looking for a new pack

With all the trouble my knee has been giving me I am now moving to lighten up all my gear as much as possible, I have an old Fairydown 75ltr pack that is bombproof but is also pretty heavy.
    Has anyone tried or use the Osprey packs? They seem pretty lightweight, and from what I can tell by playing with them in the shop I quite like their harness, allthough under load it could be an entirely different kettle of fish...
    Im looking at going to around 70 liters as it seems a good compromise between multiday trips and overnighters with a bit of room for meat and not lugging around "too much pack". The Osprey Aether70 seems to tick most of the boxes for me but interested to here from anyone that has used one, especially how comfortable they are under load, and how well they transfer load away from the shoulders and onto the hip belt. Thanks for any advice.

If I had the spare cash I would be buying a Kuiu one along with a shitload more of their stuff.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    If I had the spare cash I would be buying a Kuiu one along with a shitload more of their stuff.
    You'd do better with a plain old Macpac mate.
    K95 and PerazziSC3 like this.

Yes they are nice but I cant justify the cash on one at this stage, im slowly learning that buy once cry once really does pay dividends but they are just a step too far right now, plus I hate being that guy that has "hunting brand" everything haha.
    mikee likes this.

What are the newer Macpacs like? Have seen a few of the older ones up close and not really any difference between them and my heavy old bombproof Fairydown. I know im probably not going to save a whole heap on weight but an updated harness would probably go a long way towards helping as I feel with my current pack I need to lean into it more than I have when picking up others more modern packs.

The new macpac is a lot lighter than the older generation.
    The harness seems better, I have a 65litre cascade which weighs 2.4kg
    Have had the kuiu and Sitka packs and while they look the bizzo they didn't carry heavy loads well for me so went back to macpac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new 65 litre cascade as well, served me well for 10 days in Fiordland with everything on my back.

I currently have a 90l Macpac Cascade that is 25-26 years old. Still a good pack but you need to be aware that the straps all shrink as the pack gets older, especially the waist belt !!
    (thats my story and I'm sticking to it)
    BRADS, sometimes and Mathias like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Dunno about about packs Ryan, but seeing as we both got knackered knees what say we go halves in a pack horse.....
    Gibo and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matagouri View Post
    Dunno about about packs Ryan, but seeing as we both got knackered knees what say we go halves in a pack horse.....
    Haha I was talking to someone about this the other day mate, my mums got a couple of donkeys, useless bloody things just stand around eating and making obscenely loud noises every now and then, reckon I should grab one and put it to work.

You using treking poles at all? Using them will help your knees

Tatonka do 70 litre is packs, bisons are comfy
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Hi Ryan,
    My wife uses a lightweight Osprey pack and really likes it. I was a bit sceptical about how it would last but I've been impressed with it to the point that I'll give one a go next when it's time.
    She also has a Macpac Cascade which she only used a couple of times before ditching it for the Osprey.
    Sorry it's not quite first hand experience and not hunting use.
    I don't think it'll stand up to stand up to 'hard' use like a Macpac would, but the compromise on weight and a better body fit for her is certainly worth it for the trips that she does. It seems to be lasting just fine with normal tramping use and she has found it plenty comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I currently have a 90l Macpac Cascade that is 25-26 years old. Still a good pack but you need to be aware that the straps all shrink as the pack gets older, especially the waist belt !!
    (thats my story and I'm sticking to it)
    Yep but they stop the jelly wobble when you walk, sorta grow up with you?
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Im using a macpac accent at the moment. Really liking it. Good for attaching stuff to the outside as is designed more for light mountaineering.. Only single compartment is the only downside some might see.. Got mine for under $200 on clearance..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

@Ryan_Songhurst @199p has mean light exped pack that he rates, can see one in my future for next summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    199p likes this.