Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: LPG tanks converted to cookers

LPG tanks converted to cookers

I have a bunch of youth group teenage boys that come to my place each week to spend time in my shed building stuff.
    We managed to get some free 9kg LPG cylinders that were end of life so decided to make some cookers.
    Tanks were vented, washed inside, and all safety precautions followed to prevent explosion.

They plasma cut the tops off, cut in the doors, welding on hinges and a door latch, drilled vent holes, hole sawed the chimney in and welding in the exhaust pipe. We got some 6mm plate laser cut for the cooking surface so that it was nice and flat.
    So they used drills, grinder, plasma cutter, mig welder etc, and no injuries!

Not a bad result.

The had the freedom to place the cooking plate central, or off set, and the chimney could be straight up and down or laid back. Was interesting watching their personalities come out in how they wanted their cooker to be.

Name:  2018-05-02 20.46.31.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  2.17 MB

I had a tank left over so thought a fire box for the Potjie might be the go.

Name:  2018-06-03 16.59.35.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  2.28 MB

It is a good thing that you do

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, tetawa, mikee and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Top man!
    Great to see your generosity in passing on your skills to the next generation.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Very cool. I wish I had a shed to play in at that age. in fact I wish I had one now!

Ill send you some photos of my 9kg cooker, got a couple ideas you might like
    Use enough gun

Yea, it does get a bit costly when I have to buy the materials, but its worth the investment.

Next project is a mobile pizza oven along the lines of this one - https://imgur.com/gallery/WWszl

I picked up the 222kg LPG tank on Friday ($200 from the local tank test place in Manukau). Was very tempted to put a huge radiation sticker on the back of it to see if it had any effect on the Auckland motorway traffic for the drive home
    Plan is to have it on big industrial casters so that we can load it onto the trailer, drive to the location, then roll it to the tailgate and have it at the right height for cooking.

Name:  2018-06-01 14.25.52.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  3.10 MB

Awesome
    Use enough gun

Name:  0a4ea473929187cbb554a5de9a5861e2.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  55.0 KB

"Bender" patio heater

northdude
    its cool that you've got skills to pass on and also cool you've got some young ones keen to learn them

I've got a couple of 45kg tanks sitting outside the shed as well which I am trying to come up with a plan for …….

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    Attachment 88742

"Bender" patio heater
    awesomer
    Use enough gun

have a look at an OZPIG type fire/cooker they are along similar lines but cylinder is sideways/laid down ,great work on passing on skills.
    Tommy likes this.

Try the scrappys for your cylinders, they have to cut holes in cylinders to quit them and don’t like doing it. I got a couple of large galv. ones, out of test, given to me!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

seen them done back in oz where they split them in half and you invert the top to use as the cooking plate. Short legs-throw in the truck for camping.

Yep, I have got all of the tanks for free, except for the 222kg one on the trailer, which are in high demand and cost $200. The tank testing place send out 2 skips of reject tanks every three days to the scrappys!!
    Maca49 likes this.

MAYBE you could get young fellas to build a few more and flick them off to forum members for some "pocket money" for the lads and recoup your costs?????
    Tommy, timattalon and berg243 like this.